2 channel audio set up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Armando H, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Armando H

Armando H Agent

I'm looking to purchase a 2 channel audio setup for my living room. My budget is around $5,000 and I'm looking for a pre/pro and amp or receiver, and 2 speakers. I'm using a turntable and cd player as sources. Again, this is for 2 channel music only. I already have the HT base covered. My theater is in another part of the house and consists of:
    - Lexicon MC-12 pre/pro
    - Lexicon LX-7 amp
    - Theta David DVD player
    - Sanyo plv-60ht LCD projector
    - Phase Tech in wall speakers
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I hate to say this, but this isn't the best forum to address your kind of question. Try www.audioasylum.com or the Usenet newsgroup rec.audio.high-end - a site such as this one is definitely geared towards HT. I'm a 2-channel person, but my equipment is in a much lower price range than what you're contemplating, so I cannot offer you any advice.

3. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

$5000 is an very tight budget considering your other high end equipment. If you do not want to spend a lot more money, you could utilize the multizone aspect of the Lexicon and spend the $5000 on a good set of speakers. That would be my recpommendation. If you spent $5000 on an amp, preamp, and speakers, the quality level would be significantly below that of your Home Theater set up.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

4. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Armondo, I think you can put together a VERY good 2 channel system for 5k.....I know I could. Especially since you already have the sources....
    I would look at something like the Creek 5350se integrated amp or Nad S 300 integrated. ($1200 for the Creek and $2000 for the Nad)
    Speakers are such a personal choice but you should be able to find a great pair for the 3k range. I'd look at Proac but there are too many to pick just a few.
    Audioasylum would be a good place to ask this question BUT before you know it, they'd have you spending 10k in a heartbeat or you'd be modifying the tubes in whatever amp they suggest....Not a knock. Thats just the way it is.

5. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Yes, I agree that you can build a VERY competitive 2-channel setup on $5,000. If I had the $$, this is what I'd buy:
    nOrh ACA pre-amp ($900), see a few very detailed reviews with comparisons here: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/P...ct_69814.shtml
    Odyssey Stratos stereo amplifier ($1000?). Reviews here: http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/A...uct_3272.shtml
    Speakers are incredibly subjective, but again, this is what *I* would do with $5K after all, right? ;-)
    I'd go with either:
    nOrh 9.0 (white marble cabinet) or...
    AV-Reality 3D with sub module
    By now you can see that I believe that the direct-to-customer audio companies have impressed me with their products. ;-)
    Or I might have fun listening to something with ribbon tweeters... not too sure about that point.
    Have fun! For $5K, you can have an extremely good setup.
    John

6. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Armando H,
    After checking out many a website, I arrived at the Stratos. I talked to Klaus at Odyssey and placed an order for the Stratos stereo amp with the following upgrades:
    120K capacitance upgrade
    Groneberg Interconnects
    Groneberg Speaker Cables
    Upgraded power cord
    Silver faceplate
    Good luck!
    Ron

7. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Here's a recommendation:
    Magnepan MG-1.6/QR - $1650 (list)
    BelCanto EVO 200.2 or Bryston 4B-ST - $2000 - $2300 (street)
    Cary or AES tubed preamp - $800 - $1200 (street)
    You'd have a superb 2-channel system, IMO.
    ------------------
    Q

8. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

9. Armando H

Armando H Agent

Thank you all for the suggestions. Using my Lexicon is not an option as the theater is in a different part of the house. 2 speakers, a pre/pro, and an amp is what I'm looking for. I love tubed amps but they go beyond my budget. Maybe I'll put this system together a bit at a time. Thanks again.

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Try a tubed preamp with a solid state power amp, or a hybrid integrated amp. That would potentially give you the "best of both worlds", with the tube sound and SS slam/power. Of course, mismatched impedances could also give you the worst of both worlds. I've heard some people rant against the whole tube pre / SS power idea.
    Jolida makes some hybrid integrated amps which are supposed to be pretty good.

11. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

The Stratos is a great amp at a great price. Also consider Anthem products for your pre amd amp. For speakers I have a very strong recommendation for a pair of ACI Sapphire III LEs coupled with a Titan II LE sub. For around $2300 you will have a system with superb tonality, soundstaging, range and dynamics. Awesome musical transducers. The company is an absolute joy to work with, and the speakers are Ethan Allen furniture quality.