2 Channel Amps vs. 5-6 Channel Amps???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rik H, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Rik H

Rik H Auditioning

I am in the process of building a quality HT system but I listen to music more (60%/40%). I am thinking a used Aragon 8008BB for the fronts and an Outlaw 750 for the remaining channels. I have read so many good things about the Outlaw that I wonder if the Aragon dual Mono Block will be worth the added Bucks?? Anyone had any experience with the same decision?? I refuse to compromise music!

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Come on guys... am I supposed to answer these questions too??? Okay... direct from Universal Studios... YES!

Without any other info, I have to agree that the Aragon amp will sound better than the Outlaw amp. Sooooo, yes, this setup will kick butt. Do you have any other questions?

3. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Outlaw is a re-packaged ATI amp. So whatever it people say, it will sound like an ATI, basically a HT amp manufacturer which gives good bang for the buck, but which are not the ultimate in musicality. Aragon is in a different class, originally designed by Dan D'agastino of Krell. It does not compromise in musicality while providing much dynamics and control, and the dural-mono deisgn is definitely an advantage.

Personally, I would go for a used Classe DR series. More true to the midrange. Or a Mark Levinson. Maybe a 29.5 could be had for a decent price. Anything recent is unaffordable.

4. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Rik, I own 2 Aragon amps, the 8008BB and the 8008 x 3.
    I would not recommend pairing amps from different manufacturers. I suggest checking out the Aragon specs at: www.mondialdesigns.com
    I picked up my 8008BB used for $1,450, I bought the 8008 x 3 new. If you could find both of these amps used, go for it.

5. Rik H

Rik H Auditioning

Frank, I'm curious as to why you think the amps should be the same manufacturer. I also wondered if you tried the 3 channel Aragon on the mains and noticed a difference in quality compared to the 8008BB on the mains. I would have to go to a 5 channel Aragon to accomodate 6.1 and that would get me way out of my budget. Thats why I was thinking of the value of the Outlaw. Thanks, Rik

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

IMO, the ideal amp should not sound like anything. All it should do is directly convey and amplify the signal it receives from the source unit. Therefore, ideally, all amps should sound the same. However, we know this is not the case. Some amps have a warm, tubelike sound. Others have a neutral, no rolled off sound which many folks interpret as bright. Once again, it all comes down to determining what you like and then matching your gear to give you that sound. The fun is in the hunt for that perfect, to you, setup.

7. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Does the Aragon have the same power rating as the Outlaw? This may make a difference with the center channel. You May want to get a 3 channel Aragon for the 3 fronts and something less expensive for the rear. Maybe still get the Outlaw and use the extra channel for some Bass Shakers!!!

Frank

8. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

Rik, what kind of speakers are you using? Just to throw another option out, you could use a five channel amp to bi-amp your mains and power your center channel. Then get another less expensive 2/3 channel amp to power the rears and rear center. Something like an Adcom 2535 for the rears runs for about $250 used. Amplification of the rears is not nearly as important, unless you are using large speakers or listen to a lot of multi-channel music.

9. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Has anyone heard the Bryston 5-channel amplifier? I know that the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has used Brystons for years, but I rarely hear mention of them in these discussions.
    -JNS

10. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Frank,

The Aragon 8008 series amps are rated at 200 WPC. SGHT gave the 8008x3 (3 ch version) the only AAA rating I have seen on a 3 ch. amp I have seen. I set up to consider is the 8008X3 up front and the Acurus A200 series for rears. From my understanding the sound is very close (better matched then the Outlaw) and you still get 200WPC plus they are not expensive on the used market ($600-800.!!).

I remeber my 1st audition with the 8008ST with Revel M20's and I had the volume on the 28K Pre-Amp at like #2.5-3 and was like DAMM..I would go deaf at 5! VERY powerful amps!

Good Luck

11. Rik H

Rik H Auditioning

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Just for the record I have Snell Type D' (LOVE EM) for mains and Snell XA55 center so I need some good clean power. I am gett'in by with a couple of Polks for surround. I know I should get Snell's for the rear but I'm not crazy about the SR.5's for the money. Dare I say on this forum that I may go to less expensive better looking Dipoles from a different manufacturer. Paradigm????????