What's new

2-channel amp (1 Viewer)

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently in the market for a 2 channel power amp to drive my mains. Looking to spend between $500-$1000. If anyone could point me to any particular companies or models they are fond of I would appreciate it. I am currently considering the Rotel RB 1070. Any opinions on this amp? Thanks!

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
2 channel amps are my favorite! There is a guy who is selling Aragon 8002s in sealed boxes with 2yr manf warrantys for $795 on Audiogon.com. I think he has a few of them. That is really tough to beat close to 50% of. The 8002 is a killer amp for music and ht. Looks like his customer feedback is good as well. It will stomp on an RB1070. (IMO):)
-rob

StanleyW

Stunt Coordinator
i got an audio refinement complete amp at audiogon for 600 a couple of weeks ago. great amp for the money. 50wpc, very warm sound. go to ecoustics.com and read all the reviews on it.

another amp to look for that is in your budget is the creek 5350. you should be able to get it for about 1000 used.

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just bot a Rotel 1080 last week. Sounds great- still breaking in the cables and amp so this is still an early review.

Mike

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
You might be able to score an Odyssey Stratos used on audiogon or at harmonicdiscord. Just make sure to ask if the amp has the cap upgrade. You should end up paying between $900-$1000 shipped. Or you can buy a new one directly at www.odysseyaudio.com for $1100 with cap upgrade. This thing is a refined beast and many say that it can't be touched for under $2000.

Adam Horak

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks alot for the replys, everyone. You pointed me to some models that I hadn't previously considered.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I very much like my Stratos as well and they drive my planars without a sweat. However, I don't have first hand experience with other amps in my setup. The Stratos is a high current amp, and esp with the capacitor upgrade, there should be no issues when source material requires extra oomph. My impression of the Stratos is neither warm nor bright, just neutral (again, only compared to other amps in other setups).

I believe the Stratos is about $1100 nowadays without the capacitor upgrade, but I recommend the upgrade.

Doug

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Will adding a 2ch amp to a 7.1 HT setup cause an imballance? Adding a 2ch amp will improve your music right but what about HT? It'll improve your fronts but would it cause an imballance somewhat?

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Worms, opened...
With proper level matching most people will not hear a difference. I am sure someone is about to tell you differently though;)A 2 channel amp is mandatory for stereo playback.
-rob

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
I own an RB991 which preceded the RB1080 and I am more than pleased with it. I also own the Rotel rmb1075 and it also is quite impressive. Rotel seem to have the formula right when it comes to amps.

J

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Look into some integrated amps such as the krell 300i, plinius 8200, and jolida tube integrated. Very good for the price

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a one year old Bryston 3B-ST amplifier for $820 US. Still new to me, so I am currently reserving judgment until I have more time to do critical listening.
To obtain more useful feedback, could you tell us what speakers you have, etc?

David

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I have an RB-1090 on my mains and RMB-1095 on center, surrounds and rears. No detectable imbalance after calibration. Beautiful sound. I totally agree that a 2ch is mandatory for great music reproduction.

Marc

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Adding a 2ch amp will improve your music right but what about HT?
I recently added 4, 2-channel Adcoms to my HT. Three of which bi-amp the mains and center and the 4th runs the rears. These replaced my Marantz SR5000 which is now only being used as the pre/pro.
I did have a noticeable increase in sound quality (especially at higher volumes) with the amps over the receiver.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks