What's new

2 channel amp (1 Viewer)

Traverus

Auditioning
Real Name
John Q Public
Hello,
I have 2 Onix Rocket 550s (I know there is controversy regarding this company that is now defunct) that I've had for quite awhile and I'm looking to set them up in my bedroom. I've been out of the scene for quite awhile and am looking for recommendations for a 2 channel amplifier (not receiver although could be fine depending).
Just looking for some general guidance. Would like to spend less than $400 and don't want something with an enormously large footprint.
Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Proud owner of the Onix Rocket Signature line, love them. I drive my pair of RS1000s, RSC200 center and RS250MK2 rears with an Emotiva XPA5 amp, they LOVE the power and I actually use the power on a regular basis. :rock:
That having been said the Rocket line might do fine with just AVR power. However I had always heard that the Rockets are notorious for having great slam and being a very dynamic speaker, so I left nothing to chance and wanted a solid 200 watts per channel that the Emotvia XPA5 could offer (and an AVR cant touch). I also drive a pair of Martin Logan LX16 bookshelf speakers (not particularly easy to drive) with the discontinued Emotiva UPA-2 125 watt amp. I love Emotiva for their value and power, used daily to great satisfaction.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I used to own 550's for a while and ran them off my AVR for several years before upgrading to an amp. You will definitely notice some improvement, but it won't be drastic. Emotiva, Sunfire and used amps from Audiogon are all good choices. Try keeping an eye on ebay, craigslist and audiogon for an older rotel, adcom or the like, as these often represent the best value.

Traverus

Auditioning
Real Name
John Q Public
It doesn't have to be a dedicated amp, an AVR would be fine, I just want something relatively small so that I don't have a huge audio rack in my bedroom. The Emotiva's look like they have a pretty large footprint not to mention I think most of their models are over my $400 budget.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
If an AVR is a good fit, a used Onkyo TX-SR805 or 806 could be a great option as they can be had for about $350. They have plenty of power, I used an 805 to drive my 550's for years.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How about a pair of these...
http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-APA150-Power-Amplifier/dp/B000VKXLBO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351542360&sr=1-2&keywords=dayton+amplifier
Although I'm sure just one would be up to the task of making you go deaf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks