What's new

2 channel amp with 3802 (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I own a Denon 3802. Now, I love the sound, dont get me wrong, and I love its features. But the other day I heard a 2 channel amp I really liked. Would it be ok to amp just the mains? If I do it, wont it mess with the matching of the center and mains when i watch movies?

Is there a way to deal with this problem, if its a problem at all? Can i shut it off for movies? Is it easy?

I have Paradigm Studio 40's as fronts.

thanks

anthony

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Anthony,

This will not be a problem. There is no need to unhook it for movies. Ideally 3 front amps should match but it is NOWHERE near as important as matching speakers. Also down the road you could add a 5 channel amp for ex and dts-es and you would be set with 7 channels. The other thing you could do is buy a nice 3 channel amp and be done with it all together.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
So the sound wont be significantly different when I play movies? With the two mains amplified and the center not?

I mean, thats the reason Im getting the new amp, for the different sound. Of course, all i really need it for is music. But if it wont make a huge difference when i watch a film , i wont worry about it.

Anyone else feel the same way as John?

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Anthony,

It also depends on the efficiency of your center channel speaker. The denon 3802 can drive most center channel speakers relatively easily since it will be cut off at 80 hz anyway, Then you would have your 2 channel amp driving your front towers. Ideally you would like the same amp driving your center as your towers,but the denon will work perfectly in the mean time untill down the road you added either a monoblock for the center or 5 channel amp for your back four speakers and your center. I had the 3801 and a two channel amp and it worked great.

If your priorities lie with music a two channel amp for your towers is your best bet anyway.

YES, YES a external amp will make a huge difference, I never said it wouldnt.I think your misunderstanding what I'm trying to say

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
thanks alot for your help. I now understand totally.

does anyone else feel differently on the matter? (just want to make sure no one disagrees)

John Royster

Screenwriter
No.

Hooked up amp I had laying around to my 3802. Music is awesome and home theater got an extra kick.

You will have to recablibrate you speaker levels, but you will have no problems. I'm thinking of getting a different more powerful amp for stereo as well. Then use the current AMP for multiroom.

As a pre-amp/processor the 3802 is pretty darn good. Get ready to be wowed when you add the amp

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
Just one word of caution, based on my experience. I have not been able to match the SPLs of my front and rear speakers when using a 3-channel amp (200 wpc) for the fronts and my Sony DB930 (100 wpc) receiver for the surrounds. In other words I can't calibrate the rears to the same reference level when using VE or Avia test tones and a Radio Shack SPL meter.

The reasons for this are, I believe:
  1. The gain of my LLano 3-channel amp is much greater than the gain on the receiver's amps;
  2. The receiver does not provide sufficient adjustability to compensate (0 to -10 db);
  3. The sensitivity of the front and rear speakers are different[/list=1]

Some or all of the problems may arise with using an outboard amp, but my receivers have sufficient adjustability to overcome them. You'll just need to remember to calibrate the channels with a SPL meter.

- Ken

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I am running an ATI 1502 for my main speakers and the rest are powered by the Outlaw 750 and it blends very well. You won't be disappointed with separate amplification. Trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks