2 channel amp questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_p_s, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Jon_p_s

Jon_p_s Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible to get a decent two channel amp for around 200-300 dollars. What sort of brands should i be looking at?

2. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I have seen people getting Parasound 855A's for around $275-325. The Parasound 855A is a 5 channel amp 85x5, but if your speakers have two sets of binding posts then you can biamp them giving 170watts to each speaker and then using the last channel to power a center.

Two other amps brands that you can check out are Adcom & Carver. Not too sure about model numbers but I see a fair number of them in your price range. Check out audigon, ubid, and ebay for prices.

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Depends on what you mean by decent. But the answer is yes. I would first look at the used market. Then I would have to wait for someone else because I don't know US pricing [​IMG]

4. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Also let us know what kind of speakers you plan on powering as well as your listening preferences.

5. Jon_p_s

Jon_p_s Stunt Coordinator

I'm probably going to get a pair of axiom mt3i's. Not sure on the type of subwoofer i want yet.

6. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I see Acurus A150s for around $300 quite a bit. I consider that a very good amp. For $300 you almost have to go used if you really want to make a significant jump.

-rob

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

There are plenty to choose from if you go used. Most of the stereo amps in the 120W range go for around $300 on audiogon. Examples that come to mind are B&K, Rotel, Parasound, Marantz (2 x 125 W monoblocks), Anthem etc.

8. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor