What's new

2 channel amp for Paradigm 100 (1 Viewer)

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,
I was happy with my Denon AVR 3300 connected to Paradigm Mini Monitors, CC-350, and ADP surrounds with PS-1000 sub. Well after reading this forum, I have caught the upgrade bug.
I took the plunge and am awaiting Paradigm Ref 100's. My dilemma is getting a power amp to reallly make these babies great with music. I recently demoed the Rotel 1080 and the Anthem MC2 but wasn't really impressed with them. Demoed the Bryston 4B-ST and just fell in love with the amp. Also demoed the Rotel 1090 and Classe CA-201. Definitely liked the Classe better than the Rotel. It was just more musical to me. Stillwanted to go with the Bryston.
Managed to talk to a dealer about the Bryston 4B-ST who said I should consider the Sherbourn 5/1500A. Same sound but half the price. He carried the Parasound as well but didn't recommend the Parasound over the Sherbourn or Bryston. My question is this...I just put in an order for 2 Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks. Talked to Klause who says I have 2 weeks to decide whether I really want them or not. Just wanted some opinions on whether I made the right choice. It's more than I wanted to pay but if it does what the reviews say, then it was worth it! Help!!! Thanks in advance
:frowning:

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
The Stratos monoblocks should serve you well. Another stereo amp you could look at is the Rotel 1090. It delivers 380Wpc, which is more than enough for the Studio/100. Its also reviewed very well, and compares well with the Stratos. If you have more dough, then look at Classe and Bryston.

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Phillip,

I used the RB-1080 for a year with my Studio 100s and it was o.k. IMO. I recently had the "itch" to try the RB-1090 and was very pleased with how easy it drove the 100s. Needless to say I exchanged the 1080 for the 1090.

Even though you did not like the 1080, as Sihan mentioned, the 1090 is worth a listen.

Good luck with whatever amp you decide on.

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I've narrowed my choices to:

1. Odyssey Monoblocks

2. Bryston 4B-ST

3. Classe CA-201

4. Sherbourn 5/1500A

Since I haven't heard the Odyssey Monoblocks or the Sherbourn 5/1500A, would really like some opinions on those amps especially paired with the Studio 100's.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Phillip, with the Sherbourn 5/1500A you gain 3 more channels at a competent 200Wpc, conveniently packaged into a single unit, but you will probably not the level of performance and quality as your other choices. This is what I gather from what I've read and heard.

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
So if you had your choice between these three, which one would you pick?

1. Odyssey Monoblocks

2. Bryston 4B-ST

3. Classe CA-201

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I would pick the Classe, followed by the Bryston, followed by the Odyssey. This is mainly due to the brand, and has less to do with the exact model, since I have no experience with them. Hence, take my picks with a grain of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks