2 ch amp w/ a 5 channel system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jason celaya, Oct 3, 2002.

1. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I am currently running a 3802 with a denon POA 5200 125 x2 amp on the front two channels and I am pretty happy with the result. I have been thinking however, would it make more sense to use 1 of the 2 channels for the center speaker being that it is the most used in a movie. I do not listen to any music on this system and am running M&K 750s across the front. Am I way off in my thinking?

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

You't be better of leaving the things the way they are. You need balance in the front main L/R channels. I understand that the center channel is the most demanding in a movie but doing this could throw you off balance in timbral accuracy on the main L/R channels. The denon 3802 was measured to put out 148 W with just one channel driven. So in the current situation you have atleast 125 W/ch in the three front channels (as the surrounds aren't taxed that much) and that should be pretty darn good in itself. In case you do want to focus mainly in the center channel then bridge the POA and use it for CC.

Or buy a Marantz MA 500 monoblock on ebay for $125 and use that for CC and get the most out of separate amplification in the front soundstage.

3. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

cool, thats all i needed to hear. I'll leave it as is.