2 Cerwin-vega Stroker 18" Subs!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Javi, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Javi

Javi Extra

I was given these for free from a friend. Would they make good subs for a DIY project. Anyone know how big of an enclosure they need. I have plenty of room in my living room, so a large box is ok. My buddy said they require 7.0ft3 box does that sound right. He said they have a X-max of over 38mm is that good. Any help or ideas would be great!![​IMG]

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

do you have any TS prams for them?

BTW i think anything with 38MM of Xmax should be fine if it has a decent motor structure and can handle a ton of power.

3. iirc, the strokers "were back in the day" the ultimate SPL monsters...they sucked for SQ, but tore it up in SPL.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The Xmax is 19mm one way(38mm peak to peak), with their particular TS paramaters it is very hard to model something useful for home use. I think it would be much wiser to try and sell them and purchase something intended for home use.

Here are the TS parameters for those who want to model it and see what I'm talking about:

http://www.ofgb.org/reference/Music/...roker%2018.pdf

5. Javi

Javi Extra

So your saying bad idea using these subs!!! Or are they just hard to tune. I just want hard hitting bottom dwelling bass. I have the power to push them.

6. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I ran some sims and aside from a rising freq. response from about 50hz and up I got a decent response tuning to 25hz with 100l and with as little as 500watts your up around 114db at 25hz. If all you want is a couple of "bass boomers" I say with a little eq I would certainly give it a shot. I would also suggest using PR's. A larger box at around 140l only created a dip/sadle in the response and only equalled about a 1-2db difference. Two would certainly hit hard. Anyone know how to model a horn? these would be ideally suited to pro-audio applications.

I do think Frank's suggestion of selling them and buying a more sutible driver would yield a much flatter response that would also go lower but probably not louder. I

7. Javi

Javi Extra

What sub do you rec. for deep loud bass!

8. well, that all depends on how deep your pockets are, and how large of an enclosure you can tolerate :-D

there are hundreds of possibilities and a dozen or so that would make you very very happy.

9. Javi

Javi Extra

Thats just it my pockets are not that deep! Thats why I just wanted to use the subs, and amp I already have. But I do have plenty of room for an enclosure!

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

On ebay you could probably get ~$250 for each driver. That's a healthy budget to begin with for new drivers better suited for home use.

What are the details of the amp you plan on using?

11. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

i know the Strokers very well. they were intended for car audio use. however contrary to popular belief Cerwin Vega built them souly for sq purposes and when set up properly they are one of the better sq subs ever made for car audio. they got a bad sq rep because they have an ability to take tremendous amounts of power, i have witnessed them take "burps" of 8,000wrms, and they have a fairly high BL. because of this they were used alot for spl competition. do you know if they are dual 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm? either way you should be able to get around 300 per sub on ebay. with $600 you can do quite alot! I would suggest the combination I have actually. I have a Tempest with a QSC RMX850 amp running it. the box is vented, 8 cubic feet of internal volume and tuned to 18hz. It can practically shake my house off its foundations with low bass.

12. if you have the low budget, but can handle large enclosures, I'd build yourself a pair ot tempests like chris.

13. Javi

Javi Extra

I had them on E-bay twice at $275.00 ea.!

I picked up my Qsc amp on Ebay for $379.

Plx3402 It only had 2 bids on it! Bad listing on sellers part, my gain!

14. Javi

Javi Extra

Oh, and they are the dual 4-ohm version. They are brand new in unopened box.

15. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If you can't unload them (for a fair price) and either are forced to keep them or choose to, considering their swept volume why not look into a ported Iso load of some sort.

Yes you effectivly loose the output of one driver, but gain better SQ and a 1/2-ing the needed box size. Should still make plenty of spl, depending on the Iso-design, and your only out the time to build your box.
    You said you already had the juice to drive'em...

I'm with the guys tho and selling the Strokers to purchase better suited driver, or drivers is the best idea. I was just throwing out another idea design/direction if your stuck with them...

You might hit some of the car fourms and put them up for sale. It's free and many still like the Vega Strokers when they can get a deal...Elite car audio etc....

Regards
    Geoff

16. AudioGuru

AudioGuru Auditioning

Javi,
    I just came across this thread and it might be to late but:
    Most people dont realize what great woofers the Stroker 18s are. Most people belive they are an SPL only woofer and thats not the case. With the right enclosure the have awesome potential. I have vast experience with them and have build dozens of projects with them. If you would like me to tell you more about them send me an email. I could give you information on enclosure design and show you photos of our projects with the vega's.
    Good luck with your project,
    Justin

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Justin,

Welcome to the forum.

A reply after six years is probably "a bit too late" indeed!
    Thanks, and who knows!

Cees

18. AudioGuru

AudioGuru Auditioning

LOL, I didnt notice the year. Thats pretty funny. Thanks

19. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Justin:

We are working on getting the search function fixed so that results are more recent. In the future if you do a search use the option to search by Last Posting Date and that should return more current posts.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Parker