2 Bipolar vs 4 direct speakers: Worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest R, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

I have a new HT system with a Denon 3802. I'm not happy with the sound field from the side Klipsh Quintets when in 6.1 surround mode. I was thinking of buying another pair of Quintets and adding them to the side surround for a total of 4 speaker (any comment on this?). I already have surround backs. The Denon has the ability to do this sending half the power to each set, I believe. But with the investment in Two sets of surround speaker would it be better to spend the money on one pair of bipolar speakers instead?

If bipolar is better what can I get for a $200 budget (my cost for 2 pair of Klipsh). This system is mainly used for movies.

2. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

How big is your listening area? How are your current surround speakers placed? Have you calibrated your system? Most systems perform just fine with two speakers for surround duty.

Are bipoles for you? This is a question of preference and seating. Bipoles work great if your primary seating is directly between the two speakers. Some like the airy feel of this type of soundstage. I prefer directs in the rear. If your complaint is soundfield, probably should stick with directs.

Don't think you can find quality bipoles for $200.

3. Ernest R

Ernest R Agent

24X18 feet with cathedral ceiling.

reuglar pattern Sides on the side and 2 backs centered '6 apart 8 ' from the sweet spot.

YES

Yes I sit smack dab in the middle. Althought the fronts are siifted 2 feet to the left.

4. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Sounds like you want somebody to talk you into it. How much are some basic Klipsch bipoles? Check some online prices or ebay. Come on, go for it! That is a nice size room, fill it up. Then next year you can start looking at the Klipsch Reference series....