What's new

2 bad Sharp panels...who makes their 26'' panels? Please some advice.... (1 Viewer)

Charles S

Agent
I really hope someone can help me out here.

Since Dec. 2nd I've been through 2 LCD TV's...the Sharp 26 inch LC-26SB24U model and both have been complete garbage.

The first set arrived on Dec. 8th, and after a couple nights viewing I noticed something weird with the picture...I won't go into the details again but because this was my first LCD I thought it was something I was doing wrong...well after more reading and it getting worse I learned it was major light bleeding. So I sent it back to the online retailer and they sent me a new one....the first night it looked great, but then the second day it got worse and by night 4 it was exactly the same (and I mean exactly) as the first.

Now after 9 days now it's a complete mess and unwatchable except in daylight conditions, and bright scenes. Even during the day it is noticeable if you know what to look for. Each day I have to click the brightness control up one notch because it keeps bleeding through. Watching it's a Wonderful Life was an interesting experience, as the bleed at the top (upper third) of the screen was so bad, that in any dark scenes, when people would walk through the middle of the frame their heads/faces actually disappeared and only a bright light was visible. Apparently all Sharp 26 inch screens of this model are totally frelled, (or at least a batch of them) which leads me to my question....

Who makes the panel for this model Sharp? I will NOT be getting another Sharp when this goes back, and I'm scared that another brand may actually have the same panel. (assuming it's made by a third party)

Is this even a panel issue? Or something else?

While watching It's a Wonderful Life, I noticed at the beginning when the angels (represented by the blinking stars) are talking to each other not only did the stars get brighter as they blinked, but the entire screen (outerspace) brightened up slightly with each blink.

Does that sound like a defective panel or something else? (sorry but I'm a complete newbie to flat panels and HDTVs) I just don't want to go with another brand in the 26 inch size and end up with the same panel with just a different name slapped on it.

Who makes Sharp's panels? What about going for a 32 inch? I "might" be able to get a deal on one, (though it's not a sure thing by far) and actually pay the same for a 32 inch that I did for the 26 inch (basically due to free shipping, but it's not a sure thing yet so I'm still planning on another 26'')

I read that 26'' LCDs were supposed to be better quality than the 32'' screens, but then elsewhere I read the 26 inch screens aren't even made by the same branch of the company that makes the 32 inch + TVs? Which is usually of better quality the 32 inch or the 26 inch TVs?

I can see where the 32 inch ones might be better because they are the most popular and thus might have better QC, but then I can see that their popularity might make them prone to more "short cuts" for bigger profits which makes me thing the 26'' would be better over all. Is there any consensus on which size is better?

Needless to say I've had it with Sharp, with both sets I called them and they tried to tell me the screen must be cracked or damaged. One guy even had me look with a flash light, when I told him it looked perfect (with the set off) he practically hung up on me. (I wonder if Sharp is aware of this model's problems but not fessing up to it yet?)

If I go with another brand 26 inch set, what are the chances the panel will be made by the same people? I know RCA is supposedly a has been company, but I've always had great luck with their CRTs anyways, even have one that's nearly 20 years old, and with the exception of the tuner not working, it still works. (I can feed the signal through a VCR and change channels)...I saw an RCA in-store and it looked fine to me. (but in-store doesn't give away defective panels either) I'm to the point now that the supossedly best (or one of the best) LCD manufacturers have sold me 2 identically crappy TVs, that it really seems like if I'm going to get a "budget" set I might as well go with a "budget" name since Sharp doesn't seem to be putting too much effort into their less expensive stuff.

The only reason I thought about stepping up to a 32 inch is A.) a free shipping deal with a couple other brands at the online retailer I'm using (Philips being one), and B.) I figured getting out of the 26'' size reduces my chances the same problem to practically nothing.

Well also the 10% discount they're offering me, I can upgrade to a 32 inch, and not go beyond my meager budget, (it will now be the same price as I originally paid for the 26 incher). However the catch is they're sold out of the model I wanted, and don't know if they'll honor the free shipping when it comes back into stock late next week) but if quality is actually better with the 26 inch I'd rather stick with 26 inch because I do NOT want to have yet another crappy set. (They had a good deal on a Panny 32 inch, if I can get free shipping on that I'll go with it, but I doubt it)

More than likely I'll end up with another 26 inch set due to the 32'' being out of stock temporarily, but like I said I do NOT want to get stuck with the same panel with just a different brand slapped on the front of the darn thing, which is my big concern about the 26 inch size at this point, and is why I ask if anyone knows who makes the panels for my model Sharp, or other companies in general.

Frankly I don't care what brand I get as long as it works and works for however long they're supposed to work...(10 yrs or whatever)

I can live with the weakness of the budget LCDs (weaker blacks, maybe colors not being spot on perfect etc) but people's head's disappearing in a giant blob of white light, or a foggy appearance to both sides of the screen is unacceptable.

Every time I watch it I feel like I'm on some acid trip or something....I mean it is REALLY distracting.

I know most people here have the really cool toys and great TVs, but I would really, really appreciate some help and advice on this of at all possible.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Charles, I couldn't read your whole post, it's too long winded.. but if I recall, the smaller Sharp panels are made by Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO) in Taiwan.

Cheers,
Alon

Charles S

Agent

THANK YOU!

I wonder if there is a website anywhere that tells about the other companies/manufacturers?

The info is greatly appreciated!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Here you go:

DisplaySearch
DisplayBlog

The largest panel manufacturers in the world are Samsung and LG (South Korea), Sharp (Japan), Acer Unipac and Chimei (both in Taiwan), and a dozen smaller players (BOE, CPT, Hannstar, Hydis, InfoVision, InnoLux, SVA-NEC, TMDisplay, etc mostly in China and Taiwan).

cheers,
elapsed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks