What's new

2 Bad Boys' DVDs: Whats the difference? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Get the second one. It's a special edition with superior audio and video. The first one is a single-disc movie-only edition from the early days of Columbia TriStar's output.

M.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
This one from 2000:
1st One
This one from 1997:
2nd One
I think the one from 1997 is two discs and the one from 2000 is only one, can anyone verify this?
The one from 1997 is 10 dollars more than the one from 2000, does this one have better picture and/or audio quality to justify the money?
THANKS!

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The 2000 release is Bad Boys(1995) - Special Edition with added-value elements. The bonus materials are a new documentary "Making The Boom and The Bang in Bad Boys," commentary by director Michael Bay, isolated score in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, music videos, multi-angle segments on the pyrotechnics, and trailers.

The 1997 version is the original release of Bad Boys(1995) on DVD. This was when DVDs did not have much in terms of special features. Just the film and soundtrack options with static menus.

Both DVDs feature the same video transfer although the Special Edition spreads the film across a dual-layer disc. The original DVD squeezes the film onto a single-layer disc.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hold on, Do you mean The Sean Penn Bad Boys or the Martin Lawrence version???
If Penn, Get the newer one. It is a NEW transfer and a MUCH longer cut.
:) D

Get the Special Edition. They are both one disc, but the Special Edition has a much crisper video transfer, and has a kick ass commentary by Bay.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
Well, i guess its pretty clear, get the 2000 Special Edition version, good thing too...its cheaper! :)
Thanks guys!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Hold on, Do you mean The Sean Penn Bad Boys or the Martin Lawrence version???
If Penn, Get the newer one. It is a NEW transfer and a MUCH longer cut.
Dave's right. It's pretty funny that there are two titles named Bad Boys and they both have been released in two different versions on DVD. Confusing, eh?
He's right, too, regarding the Sean Penn movie. The first release was a much shorter cut, and it was not the theatrical version. The second release is the longer, theatrical cut.
Link Removed

Rob T

Screenwriter
I got the Martin Lawrence version a year ago or so. It's a pretty nice disc.
I hope the sequel will be even better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks