2 Amps 1 set of speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mitch Pnut, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Mitch Pnut

Mitch Pnut Auditioning

It's not the smartest setup in the world, but in my media room, I have a home theater amp and speakers set up to my TV, but I also have an amp and tuner that runs my home audio system wired throughout my house. I would like to be able to hear music in my media room as well. Is there a way to share the speakers in that room between two amps, some sort of A-B switch perhaps?

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Yup. For what you're talking about you need a switch. And make sure that it is a switch made for this purpose or is a generic "break before make" type. You don't want the outputs of the two amps connected together, even for an instant.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure exactly where to buy such a thing. You might try Parts Express, SmartHome, or Markertek.

As an alternative, perhaps you can run a line level signal from your whole-house system to one of the auxiliary inputs on your theater receiver. Then just power up the receiver and select that input when you want "house music" to come through your theater speakers.