2 additional surrounds to go from 5.1 to 7.1 question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Frank.Ch, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

Do the two additional surround sound speakers need to be very powerful / high end?

I have 2 SS-1's with my 5.1 speaker system. I accidentally bought 2 additional SS-1's (there were 2 in each box, although the Best Buy sales rep thought there were only one per box).

Do I need to keep the SS-1's or can I return the 2 extra ones and replace them with smaller and cheaper surrounds?

Also, I have two fairly cheap Radio Shack speakers - Realistic Minimus 7, input 8 OHMS, 40 W max. Will these work as presence speakers for my Yamaha HTR 5760?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Ideally you want all your surrounds to be the same. This will give you the best sound and any panning across the back surround stage will sound the same. If you mix other speakers with the back you will have a timbre matching issue. However, this isn't as easily noticeable as the fronts not being timbre matched.

I would recommend using the same speakers, if you can't afford to do that, then maybe the smaller speakers in that same line of speakers. Third and last option is to use completely different speakers.

3. Frank.Ch

Frank.Ch Agent

Thank you very much Dan, then I will keep the 2 additional SS-1's.

Anyone have any thoughts on using cheap Radio Shack speakers for presence speakers?