1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2.7 Million active mail accounts Netflix DVD.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ernest, Apr 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Yes it is true Netflix DVD/Blu-ray service has 2.7 million active customers. Why because the DVD/Blu-ray catalog is much larger than streaming, much cheaper when you consider in order to view popular movies, series, you need several streaming accounts. Families living In rural American can't receive broadband internet required for streaming. Many people really like video/audio quality of DVD/Blu-ray versus streaming. For me I prefer buying Blu-ray, not 4K, for private home viewing because of the video/audio quality. I can understand why some continue to prefer to rent DVD/Blu-ray rather than stream. I subscribe to Netflix and can say the quality, though not equal to Blu-ray, is very good better than DVD. In the end these 2.7 million will become streamers, not buyers like us, our world is shrinking and there is not much we can do about that.

StarDestroyer52 and Jeff Adkins like this.
  2. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I previously had the rental option from Netflix, they had a good assortment of catalog titles. Where I live at however, the us mail drops packages/letters off at my house but does not pick up. It became a hassle to have to drive to a post office mailbox to send my Netflix items back everytime I was finished with them. I still have the streaming service but that is mainly for my wife and kids as I’m not very happy with their catalog availability on the streaming site. I still buy the majority of titles I want on Blu-ray. I have to admit I subscribed to the new Criterion channel so we will see how that plays out.

Will Krupp likes this.
  3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I stopped using the mail version of Netflix many years ago.
    Was never able to get new releases on a regular bases.
    Was easier to get them from Redbox.

Peter Keller and John Dirk like this.
  4. breeezer

breeezer Agent

Bryce
    I utilize streaming, borrowing from friends and the local public library, and a couple of disk rental places which covers most--but not all--of my viewing wishlist. I had stopped Netflix DVD rental but started it up again recently because they had titles I couldn't find elsewhere. I do wish, however, that you could look up their blu ray titles that are available in a group, rather than looking up each title.

Peter Keller and skylark68 like this.
  5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I maintain a Netflix rental subscription for titles I missed in the past or new Blu-rays I don't get offered by the studios.

As long as I mail my "at home" disc on Friday or Saturday, I always get my 1st pick of the following week's new releases.

Even if I miss out on release date, the newer titles become available again quickly!

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Yeah I did that too but it didn’t work often enough for me.

7. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

What??? That blows my mind. How can they not pick up mail? First off, that is their job, Secondly It says directly on the USPS website that:

You can send mail by:
    • Dropping it into a blue collection box.
    • Leaving it in your home mailbox.
    • Scheduling a pickup.
    • Taking it to a Post Office.
    https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm100/sending-receiving.htm

8. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I’m in an older neighborhood that still has walk up delivery. It was grandfathered in as all the surrounding neighborhoods have individual mailboxes at the street but apparently the letter carriers do not pick up from our locations as part of that “deal.”

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t get USPS pickup at my Queens, NY apartment either. There’s no place either inside the building or around it to drop off a letter and they don’t take mail left in your box. I end up mailing everything from work.

10. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Second Unit

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    I didn’t know Netflix still offered a mail exchange subscription. I used to have this mail exchange, and I watched a ton of films this way. I did notice that Netflix slowed down on offering new releases (this may have been due to the distribution studio), so I stopped the service.

11. Colin Jacobson

I've never encountered a new release - meaning a new movie, not a "new to Blu-ray movie" - that didn't pop up on NF, though oddly, "White Boy Ricky" was only DVD, not BD.

But I am happy that they ship a new disc when the post office scans the one I return. It'd suck if I had to wait for NF to actually receive the returned disc first!

I think they kinda have to do it this way because they've shut down so many of their receiving PO boxes. When I first started on NF, it'd ship to an address about 10 miles from my house.

Then they stopped that and my discs went to somewhere in MD.

Now they go to New Jersey! :wacko:

12. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Didn't know that the Netflix Disk rental service still existed; I would think that with streaming, that would have already gone by the wayside. That being said, I completely understand why people prefer physical media to streaming - since I'm one of those people.

However - even though I considered using this Netflix disk rental service back in the late 200X's/early 20XX's, I never did - for several reasons:

-The possibility the disks were scratched & unwatchable (or partially unwatchable) - I had a lot of issues re: scratches on Disk rentals from Blockbuster at the time, so didn't want to deal with this.

-The possibility of the Disks getting misdelivered/not delivered to me and/or when I tried to return them to Netflix. Again, I had/have issues with misdeliveries in the past, and didn't want to take this chance.

-The possibility that I would be sent the wrong film (other than what I ordered). I read an article (at the time that Netflix rentals were at their height) which mentioned that not everyone got the movies/TV shows they requested - in some cases, they got alternatives, and not what they really wanted to see. Not sure how this worked, but I wouldn't have wanted to deal with this either.

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I last used it just a couple of years ago. Over the years, they added fewer niche titles and didn't replace formerly-available titles when they got damaged or lost. They also started stocking "For Rental Only" discs that usually didn't contain any of the supplements offered on the retail discs. It was still good for new-ish releases and mainstream stuff. Honestly, my tastes are a bit off the beaten track, so it eventually wasn't worth the cost to me, but I can absolutely see the benefit it would still have for many people. Before streaming made many films more available, it was one of my favorite things.

14. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    This is an interesting topic because, to me, the real question is how many [physical media] customers did Netflix have before they spun off the streaming service. I don't have any data but I think it's safe to say millions more than now as most have migrated to streaming only plans. It never occurred to me before but I would suspect the rental experience is now much better for those who remained.

15. Colin Jacobson

The "Rental Only" discs appear to be a thing of the past. Every new release Blu-ray I've rented for a couple years has been the full regular retail issue.

Before the sequel came out, I rented "Happy Death Day", a BD that came out early 2018. It was a "rental only", and I'm thinking that it was one of the last...

Brian Kidd likes this.
  16. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    That has not been my experience. I still get lots of rental only discs stripped of extras.

17. Message #17 of 35 Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    This was my understanding all along. Based on studio paranoia concerning cannibalization of DVD [Blu Ray] sales, rental companies like Redbox and Netflix would be provided with these crippled "Rental Only" discs.

This article is very old but does a decent job of summing it up. By now it's possible [but not likely] things have changed.

https://thepopbreak.com/2011/01/11/no-more-special-features-on-dvd-rentals/

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Given that the rental market has shrunk so much, I wouldn't think it cost effective to create a separate run of altered/stripped discs these days.

19. Colin Jacobson

Such as...?

I'm not saying that the older "Rental Only" discs have been replaced with full-featured ones.

I am saying that I used NF for new releases a lot and it's been a long time since one was limited.

Universal was one of the prime offenders in that regard, but all the Uni discs I've gotten for a year plus have been full featured...

20. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    Since the studios pretty much know how many copies of a title will be sold to Netflix and other such companies,
    it is not a lot of money for the larger companies to take away extras and author an uncomplicated Blu-ray for rental. It is a very small cost.

Having paid for some of this work, I can say that a major studio with a major release would not blink at such a minor cost.

As to smaller companies, I do not recall any stripped down versions. I have never seen a stripped down Criterion disc. Only the bigger studio releases.