$2,500 to spend on either a Paradigm or Definitive Technology HT set up tonight.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael De Costa, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

I am in the process of doing a complete purchase of a Home Theater system. I am ordering a 57H81, just got my Panny RP91, and tonight I plan to pick up the Denon 3802 and a whole speaker system. I am looking for a pair of fronts, surrounds, & center channel. Being that I am trying to build an outstanding system, I will pick up the Sub at a later time when I can spend more on it. I am a bit confused on whether to purchase a Paradigm or Definitive HT system. As for listening preference, 99% of the time the system will be used for HT only. I need to know what brand to go with as well as the models I should purchase. I have had Paradigm in the past but have heard a lot of good HT reviews on the Definitive Technology speakers too. Please advise.
    ------------------
    At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I used to have the def tech pro monitor 100's with a denon 3300 and loved them.
    I seem to remember comparing some paradigms to the def techs and the max. wattage capacity being quite different (much lower for the paradigms).

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

As you know, choosing a speaker system is a very subjective thing. You will get recommendations based on each person's personal preferences. There is no right or wrong choice. It is solely based on your personal preference.
    With that said, in the Paradigm brand I suggest you start your search with the Paradigm Monitor series or Reference series. There are some nice combinations of speakers in both series.

4. Michael De Costa

If I go with the Paradigms, I thought about the folloing set up: CC-370 for center, Studio 40's or 20's for front and then 20's for rears. If I 20's in front and rears will that work well, or should I go with ADP's in the rear? Is the Studio/CC much better than the CC-370? I might be better going with the Studio/CC for a timber matched system with the 20's or 40's. Pleae advise.
    ------------------

5. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Stick with one series.. If you go with the reference, get the studio/cc, if you get the monitor series, go with the cc-370.. Timbre matching is very important and you will probably end up wishing you bought all the same, so save yourself some hassle.. I have the 40's and studio/cc and they sound seemless in the front!
    Craig

6. Bruce Karsten

I have two HTs setup, one with Paradigm (2xRef80, 2xRef20, 1xCC) and the other DefTech (2xBP2002, 2xBP2X, 1xCLR2002). For HT, I prefer the DefTech setup. The bipolars really surround you with sound well. I recently moved this setup to a larger room and found the DefTech's really 'opened up' (from 11x13 to 18x16). The Paradigm setup is more biased toward music (that's why I have the 80's, I really like the midrange punch and forward image they have). As your stated use is primarily HT I think you would really enjoy the DefTechs (IMHO). Either way you'll enjoy the show!

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You have a tough choice there.
    Let me ask you: Can you pull the L/R speakers about 3 feet into the room? If so, the bipolar DefTech's will give you a great sounding HT system.
    Which model DefTech's were you planning to buy?
    I strongly recommend the CLR2002 center channel speaker. I bought my DefTech system based on how good this center speaker performed.

8. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

You might want to go with nOrhs...then you will have 5 matched speakers and dual SVS subs for your 2500 budget. That will stomp either combination you are looking at.
    www.norh.com 5 4.0s (ceramics) $850

9. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Go with Definitive Technology...bipolar is really great for movies and gives the DT speakers a huge soundstage and extra power handling. Basically all their speakers have similar voiceing so you should be fine choosing different speakers (but for your price range I would recommend 2006TL's if you like the powered towers, or bp30's if you go with nonpowered towers).

10. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Bob,
    Have you heard a 4.0 system? I have heard a 2006tl system, and there is no need to pay extra for powered subs. There is no way a 2006tl system with no subs, will beat a 5 4.0s with dual SVS subs for HT. I'm sorry. The deftechs are gonna be crossed over at 80hz in that Denon anyway, so towers seem pointless to me. They may go down to low 30s without much authoirty considering the 8" drivers. The SVS wwill hit 20hz easily and with authority.

11. Michael De Costa

Just when I thought I had narrowed it down to 2 companies, nOrh enters the picture. Does this company specialize in home theater, a mixture of HT & music, or mostly music. I have never heard of them. You learn something new everyday!
    ------------------

12. Michael De Costa

Just was looking over the nOrh website. It's hard to believe that those are even speakers! I would love to hear them in a HT environment. I noticed that I couldn't find a single speaker designed to solely be a center channel. The prices are not that bad if they are as good as they claim to be! Anyone else have them too?
    ------------------

13. Michael De Costa

Just was looking over the nOrh website. It's hard to believe that those are even speakers! I would love to hear them in a HT environment. The prices are not that bad if they are as good as they claim to be! Anyone else have them too?
    ------------------

14. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Keith the problem with your statements is that you are saying xxxx WILL stomp over other speakers...
    He is saying that he will budget for subs later...I said that a 2006TL/bp30 system with SVSubs should stomp over a nOrh 4.0 system with SVSubs. Looking at the speaker designs, I don't see why this is a far-fetched statement...still it is only my opinion (hence the use of SHOULD).
    You may have heard the 2006TL system, but for how long? How was it set up? Was it at a store? Did they include an external sub? What receiver/amps/cdplayer/cables were they using? In his price range, he can probably get (4) bp2006TL's all around and a clr2300...have you heard such a setup where all channels can be run large (eventually to be augmented with external subs)? I have not myself, but from everything I have heard it will be a killer killer setup.
    Now Michael, let me tell you why this choice is easy. The DT's throw out the huge bipolar sound and have tremendous power handling and excellent bass (in all these chategories they should easily top nOrh 4.0)...this is why they should have a definite edge on movies. And it is easy to discount powered towers...but I think especially for music it is nice...they can be crossed much lower, and there is great blending between highs/mids and lows. For each channel they can be run as large (a lot of people seem to like it this way) and with movies, the LFE can be sent to external subs.
    [Edited last by Bob_A on August 30, 2001 at 05:25 PM]

15. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Duplicate message
    [Edited last by Bob_A on August 30, 2001 at 05:18 PM]

16. Michael De Costa

Just was looking over the nOrh website. It's hard to believe that those are even speakers! I would love to hear them in a HT environment. The prices are not that bad if they are as good as they claim to be! Anyone else have them too?
    ------------------

17. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

duplicate message
    [Edited last by Bob_A on August 30, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

18. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Bob A,
    Your comment on the other thread sparked my writing...you have often written against nOrhs at AR, and here now. I have heard deftechs on rotel electronics at a dealer for about an hour going back and forth between them and 603s. I don't audition speakers for "ht" If they do music, they do ht, period, end of story. I was leary of nOrh at first, and on a whim ordered the ceramic package---they blew away my PSB Image setup, which I sold the next week. The cabinet is the strong point, and coupled with SVS subs (bass being the 4.0s weakness), I don't see how Deftech 2006s will compare. The key is 5 of the same speaker (which 5 2006s would work--yet over budget, and difficult with floorstanders to do logistically). This provides truly seamless transitions.
    Speaker design is definitely to nOrhs strong point...until you have heard a cabinet that doesn't resonate...you just won't understand why manufacturers don't stray from "boxes"
    My point is, get the nOrhs and subs now and be happy, rather than buying deftechs with built-in subs, and not having subs for 6 months or a year. You know, that the 2006tls are missing an entire bottom octave...
    The other thing for the poster, is that bipolar speakers don't work in all rooms...the refractions can cause mega problems. I would definitely recommend a home audition if you are serious about them.
    [Edited last by KeithR on August 30, 2001 at 05:28 PM]

19. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

BTW, Michael, since you are in Jersey, you are more than welcome to take a listen to the nOrhs in action...

20. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor