2.35:1 Ratio Movies Don't fit Properly

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JohnnyCorona, Jun 30, 2003.

1. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

I am not sure how to fix this, but whenever playing a movie that is 2.35:1 ratio, the top and bottom bars are twice the size they should be, and the image looks like its being squashed from top to bottom.

My DVD player is setup for widescreen mode, but all other modes produce the same effect. (other ratios look fine)

When the DVD is set to progressive scan (480p), I cannot make any changes on my TV to adjust the position, but if I change the dvd player to 480i, I can then use the controls on my TV to adjust the format properly, but the quality is not as good.

I have a Samsung p421 DVD player with a Samsung 42" HDTV connect via component cables.

Any Ideas??

Johnny

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Sound like you are playing a non-anamaphoric dvd. Non anamaphoric dvd's cannot be played in "full" mode. You must use one of the tv's stretch or zoom modes to properly display the image. It also sounds like your TV is one of those that "lock" into full mode when sent a 480p image, meaning you cannot use the stretch modes. When you set the player to interlaced and input 480i, you are allowed all modes. As you have found, you can set your player to 480i and use the zoom modes, which aren't as good. A great alternative is to get a Panasonic RP91 dvd player. The 91 scales the non-anamaphoric image internally, allowing you to keep your TV in full mode and still use progressive output from the player. The 91 will provide a superior image. There are some other players that do zooming, but are generally not as good as the 91.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

greg_t appears t to have it right on the money.

If you post a list of titles that you are having trouble with, someone should be able to tell you if they are anamorphic or not.

If they are anamorphic, there may be words on the box that say "enhanced for wide screen TV", or something similar. If there is no such note, it is likely (but not always) a non-anamorphic, letterboxed title.

BGL

4. JohnnyCorona

JohnnyCorona Agent

Looks like you are correct. I tested several DVDs that were suppose to be anamorphic, and found that some actually look normal, they still had bars on top and bottom, but much thinner. Example, U571 and Gattaca looked fine, but ConAir and Titanic look squashed.

So is this just a badly encoded DVD? I am guessing that they put black bars in with the actualy video, to look letterboxed when played on a 4:3 TV.

Is this right?

5. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

That is exactly correct. If you look on the DVD packaging, you will probably find that, although it says "widescreen", it does not say "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs."

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yes.

8. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

ConAir is not anamorphic. The last I heard, Panasonic 91 can be had for as little as $300, you may wish to give it a try.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul