2.35:1 - 1.78:1 Adjustable FP Screen DIY

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by PhilBoy, Feb 10, 2004.

1. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I want to build a wall-mounted adjustable black border screen to perfectly frame all aspects of widescreen movies.

I would like to be able to manually adjust the height of the screen's frame from top and bottom without moving the projector or adjusting the width of the screen.

Any ideas ?

2. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

What you are looking for is known as "masking" (aka, screen masking, vertical masking). Do a search here and in the screen area at avsforum on the term. You should find plenty of ideas.

There's a sticky thread at AVS here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...php?forumid=23

And here's the first DIY I found a couple years ago:
    http://www.kathiejohnson.com/masking.html
    Although, you might find it difficult to find the DrapeBoss motors, as they are no longer made. Some people use wiper or electric window motors from cars.

I'm experimenting with a stepper motor design right now, but it's all on paper. No materials/testing as of yet.

3. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Tons of HTF people (including myself) are doing exactly that. In my case, I has the screen framed on the sides with black velvet, then on the top and bottom I mounted those unfinished wooden curtain rods you can pick up at home depot (like 1 1/2" thick or so). I then stapled an 18" strip of velvet to each rod. I roll it up/down to fit the screen size and it looks awesome.

You'll also want to put a long flat backing piece behind the end of the velvet to give it a nice clean straight line.

- Jack

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    My masking was cheep and easy, kind of a pain to do manually but I could motorize and automate it if I wanted to put more money into it. See my site!

Wes