2 3" Ports or 1 4" Port and Why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Bowzer, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Andrew Bowzer

Personally, I think that two 3" ports would look better just as a design, and plus the 3.5" hole saw is cheaper than a 4.5", haha. But is there an actual reason why I should stick with 1 4" as opposed to two 3" ports? I know the two 3" ports will have a tad more port area, but thats about it. Somebody please shine some light for me.

Thanks for all the responses.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The wide the port, the less turbulence the air being funnelled through (back and forth) will impact the sonic quality of the overall sound of the subwoofer. (i.e. port noise is lessened with wider ports)

3. Andrew Bowzer

Great, Thanks for the answer. Off to home depot to get the MDF, and should have almost finished box pics by the sunday. That is if I don't get lazy and not finish.

Thanks again.

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The pair of 3" like you said will have slightly more cross sectional area. But the single 4" will also have a lot less tube surface area (less friction with the moving air). Two 3" ports 18" long will have a surface area of 340"^2 while a single 4" port 18" long will have a surface area of 225"^2. The other issue would be pipe resonances, multiple smaller ports really push the rule of thumb that a port shouldn't be more than 5 times its' diameter in length.

However, TomV has claimed that in testing he has received better results from multiple smaller ports than single larger ports.

So who's right I don't know. But personally, unless I get to do the testing myself or some one does some testing and publishs their results, I'll stick with single larger ports.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer