(2) 10" vs. (1) 12"-15" (1 Viewer)

Gents and any Ladies if present:

My configuration is as follows:
*65" Mits HDTV Integrated
*Onkyo TX-SR800 RCVR
*AR Status(Decent Line) Center, Tower Fronts, and Bookshelf Surrounds and Rears
*JVC XV-FA900BK DVD Changer
*XBOX

My sub is an Infinity 12" from a HT in a box system, and I want to upgrade that portion next. My usage is 60/40 HT/Music(most music is DVD-A, so the sub is important). I am looking for THX Certified depths(around 20+ hz), but can't necessarily afford a sub at the THX price. I would like to know if I would be better off going with (2) 10" subs daisy chained or (1) good 12"-15" sub. My room is approx. 15-15 with 9 foot ceiling, but I am moving in the next few months to Columbus so I guess room size is TBD still. Please share your experience though with whether I should go for 2 or 1, and also please make particular sub suggestions also. I prefer tight bass to boomy also. As always thanks in advance for your help, these forums have become another obsession almost equal to my HT.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Few 10 inch subs will extend to 20Hz. Even considering DIY subs you won't find many that dig down to 25Hz with authority.

SVS always gets a hearty recommendation from me. The 25-31PCi is amazing and affordable. Or have them tune it to 22Hz as a no-cost option.

If you're willing to build one yourself then consider drivers from Adire audio, Parts Express (Dayton Loudspeaker) and Stryke.

Lee,
You have lost me a little here. I am looking to increase my decibel output by using the two subs as well as looking to 'fill the room' more for that fuller sound I have been looking for. My understanding on the Hz, is that the lower the Hz the lower the Bass. I read here or there, that the THX spec. requires Sub Perfomance @ 20Hz, for the product to be THX Certified, so that is what I meant by THX taste on Acoustic Research Budget.

Thanks,
JK

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
I think there is a bit more to getting a sub THX certified then just tuning it down to 20Hz. Maybe somebody else can jump in with specifics. But it is a good idea to get 20Hz-20KHz out of your system none the less.

Two subs will definitely fill the room more. But as Ryan pointed out most 10" subs are lacking below 30Hz or so. So if you have a 10" the goes down to say 25Hz adding another will raise the volume but your extension will still only go down to 25Hz. Just wanted to make sure you understood that.

Did you have any specific subs that you were looking at, or a budget? That way you can get some specific recommendation that you can audition.

Lee,

"adding another SUB will raise the volume but your extension will still only go down to 25Hz"

that does clear things up for me. I thought I understood that, but you have put it in much better terms for me. Thanks for that.

Since you asked:
I was thinking if I went with (2) ten's I would go with something like the AR PR1010 range down to 25hz. Regardless I would like to stay around total $300-$400. I have a 'Good Buddy' who is a GM at a local Big Markup who really hooks me up. I have access to the JBL PB line and a few different AR subs. Not a great selection , but for the $ break I get it can't be beat, unless you know something I don't. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and the JBL PB line only goes down to like 27 Hz, so would I be better off with a DIY?
Joe

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
"so would I be better off with a DIY?"

The answer to this is (almost always) YES, YES, and again I say YES!

SVS-like performance can easily be had for $300-$400. For example:

250 watt plate amp - $120
Dayton DVC woofer - $120
4 inch aeroport - $15
Shipping charge on the above - $10 or so
4x8 sheet of 3/4 MDF - $18
Wood glue - uh, $4 maybe
Screws, T-nuts, other odds and ends - $25
Paint - $5

That's less than $320 for a subwoofer that will make the JBL PB12 pee its pants. Of course it can get more expensive if you get fancy with the design or the finish. But it would be really easy to stay under $400 if you have access to the right tools.

That plate amp, woofer and port are from www.partsexpress.com

Ummmmm......

I think the proper response here would be thank you!

With info like this at hand, I bet that you are a good man to find out where I could get some DIY plans for a sub of this configuration from. Any suggestions? I have the feeling I probably won't be waiting long. Someone has mentioned tuning a sub to 22hz, is this something that I will have to know how to do? Is this rather involved? I do have a soldering iron, but it doesn't get much use.

Joe

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Dustin's links are great places to learn.

If you're just looking for some no-brainer, tested and proven designs then head over to Adire Audio and check out the vented application notes for the Shiva and Tempest drivers

Shiva apps

Tempest apps

The Shiva is a 12 inch driver very similar to the 12 inch Dayton DVC driver I mentioned above. In the same way, the Tempest is a 15 inch driver very similar to the 15 inch Dayton DVC driver. These are awesome drivers and you can't beat the the free box designs that Adire offers.

The flared port is available at either Parts Express or Adire. But I'd prefer to buy the plate amplifier from Parts Express since its on sale for $120 and they're offering it with free shipping right now.

250 watt plate amp

You can modify the rumble filter of this amp but its not really necessary with any of the Tempest or Shiva alignments. So no real solder work. The tuning will be defined by the box size and port size. But the alignment papers already have that stuff figured out. So this is the easiest way, short of a kit, that you can do a DIY sub and its one of the best bang-for-the-buck deals to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks