What's new

2.1 to 5.1 (1 Viewer)

abacab

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
I have my sony dvd player connected via a coaxil cable to my home theatre,is there any way i can play my 2.0 dvd's at 5.1? the system has three connection options coaxil,L-R and optical,it also has digital,stereo and pro logic which means if i connect through L-R i can use pro logic but i cant seem to take advantage of this through the coaxil input.
Any help appreciated.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Pro Logic is a matrix-encoded format and will really only work on programs that are actually encoded for it (it's often termed "Dolby Surround" on broadcasts and DVDs that lack a 5.1 soundtrack). For programs that do not support this (mostly older programs), you'll notice that you'll only get sound from the center channel speaker. In this case, it's better to run the receiver in stereo mode. For OLD movies that have mono soundtracks, a lot of receivers have a "Mono Movie" sound mode that will optimize the sound across the front three speakers (usually).

And BTW, Dolby Pro Logic works even over digital audio connections like optical and coaxial. Most receivers will switch themselves to Dolby Pro Logic mode by default if no discrete digital bitstream for Dolby Digital or dts is detected from the source by its surround processor.

If you can't get Pro Logic to work over digital on your receiver, you might want to double-check the DVD player's settings (on just about every Sony DVD player ever made, the setup menu is accessed by pressing the DISPLAY key on the remote). Make sure that the digital audio output is set to "bitstream" and not "PCM".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks