2.1 or 3.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt AR, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Matt AR

Matt AR Agent

Is there such a thing as a 2.1 or 3.1 receiver or would I have to just buy a normal 5.1 receiver and only utilize 2 (or three) channels plus the sub. My room will not accomodate surrounds, but I could work with front L/R, subwoofer, and possibly center channel. I would not mind just having a stereo receiver as long as I could use the LFE signal on most DVD's. What would your recommendations be. At the very least I would want 2.1.

Thanks,

Matt

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

How can you not accomodate surrounds? Put them on stands on either side of a couch if you have a tight space. My living room isn't all that conducive to surrounds either, but I get by. I even moved the couch out away from the wall to get better sound (some people won't even do that, which amazes me).
    How can you stand to be without surround sound? [​IMG]
    Dan

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think your choices are either stereo or some form of 5.1/6.1. There is no reason why you would not be able to just not use surrounds. I have this setup in my bedroom - a 5.1 receiver with no surrounds, no center, and no sub. (90% music use, via DVD player). It works just fine. Most decent recievers allow you to switch off surrounds/center/sub if they are not present via a config menu. I have no real need for them, as I do nearly all movie viewing on my main system.

If you get a stereo receiver, you will not be able to decode multi-channel formats, even if it has a sub output, as the circuitry/software will not be present. Why limit yourself anyway? So you don't use these speakers now, what about 6 months from now when you change your mind? Get a 5.1/6.1 now, and hang onto it later.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

All 5.1 receivers allow you to configure them for the number of speakers you have connected. You must only connect two speakers -- the center and surround speakers (as well as the subwoofer) are all optional.

I am using an old DPL receiver in our bedroom with three speakers -- front, center, right -- and an old subwoofer. Corner placement of the TV and speakers made using rear speakers difficult.

5. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Look above you. Notice that there's not much on the ceiling? A couple of surround speakers up there could change things....