What's new

2.1 - 3.1 for ~ $800 help (1 Viewer)

tiekwando

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Morton
Hi Everyone,
I have a thread over on the beginners forum, but since my question is a little more specific i wanted to see what people would say. Big picture I have about $1000 to spend on a receiver, speaker and subs. I will use it 90% with a tv and 10% music. the viewing area is small, but there is no wall between the living room and the kitchen with the total area being less than 2700 cubic ft. Oh and I don't have room for tower speakers just fyi.
After hearing everyone on the other thread I am thinking of starting with a 2.1 or 3.1 system and getting a receiver from accessories4less for around $200. Which brings me to my questions. First I guess is the sub, after reading reviews I think I have found 4 subs that could work,
1) HSU VF2 MK4 ~ 550 - the most expensive by far, but has the lowest hz and seems to get amazing reviews
2) Lava LSP12 ~ 340 - again seems to get pretty good reviews for its price
3) BIC PL-200 ~ 340 (or VK-12 is there a difference between these 2?) same as Lava, but different
4) BIC America F12 ~ 200 - the cheapest by far, consistently recommended, but also the lowest RMS and highest HZ
Then that leaves me with speakers and a budget of anywhere from 250 to 600 for 2 or 3 speakers (its not a hard cap, but a preferred cap if that make sense)-
On the lower budget end the BIC DV series looked good, so a pair of 62si and a 62clrs or possibly a 5.0 energy take classic system which both would be around $250
Mid budget my friend really likes emotiva, but they are all 4 ohm speakers, i figure if i am only running a 2.1 system most receivers may be able to handle 2 of them (assuming volume is left relatively fine). They are on sale currently so I can get a pair of bookshelf speakers for 350 or two LCRs for 400-550
Upperish budget (so 600 for 2-3 speakers) I have absolutely no idea! Anyways thanks in advance for all of your help you all have been extremely helpful so far!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
they are all 4 ohm speakers, i figure if i am only running a 2.1 system most receivers may be able to handle 2 of them
Only if the receiver is designed to drive a 4 ohm load. Or in the case if my Pioneer VSX-1014, it was thoroughly tested by people and shown to be stable into a 4 ohm load even though published specs said it would not.
BIC America F12 ~ 200 - the cheapest by far, consistently recommended, but also the lowest RMS and highest HZ
Ignore the wattage. At the $200 price point, one of the best subs you can buy.
HSU VF2 MK4 ~ 550 - the most expensive by far, but has the lowest hz and seems to get amazing reviews
Dr. Hsu can design a sub. Also, don't forget the Epik Legend at $499 - http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html . But I would recommend spending less on the sub and more on the speakers.
On the lower budget end the BIC DV series looked good, so a pair of 62si and a 62clrs or possibly a 5.0 energy take classic system which both would be around $250
Sam really likes the BIC speakers. I'd love to hear them. If I wasn't finishing up my DIY speakers, I'd give these a shot.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I like the BIC DV62 because of the "everyday pricetag"...
$110.
The Jamo lighting deal today for $99 was a better deal...(I didn't partake, cause I don't like speakers that small)
The BIC DV62 is, essentially, the same speaker as the V62.
The BIC V62 goes all the way back to the 80s. With a "continuous lineup" for 30+ years, there must be something right with it. And yes, I'm biased cause I have the V830 and V820.
And "about speakers that small"...
I'm the proud owner of Synergistic S72(each the size of a kitchen refrigerator), Dahlquist DQ10(talk about speakers that take over a room) and DCM TF600(another speaker that needs room to work).
However, I do have a pair of Polk Mini-Monitor(4" woofers) that run off a Panasonic SA-EN17...connected to a computer...
Also have a pair of Polk S8(bigger than either the Jamo S602 or the BIC DV62) that are my "next smallest".
In some set-ups I do have "small speakers" for height or width...mainly from where I had to put them.

tiekwando

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric Morton
Hmm, well I have been looking around and think I may start with a BIC system
so pair of 62si and a 62clrs along with a BIC F12 sub. $415 shipped from amazon and if I decide I don't like the sound (for some reason or another) then I can return them through amazon (i have always had a good response returning things to them). Plus then I can tell if I need/want more bass, better mids etc. etc or if I am happy with what I have got.
Now I just need to get a receiver, probably going to post this on the receiver sub-forum, but seeing as I don't have any non-HDMI connections, no iphone/pad for airplay and there are two spots were I would like to be able to listen to the TV a Denon 1612 for $200 shipped from accessories4less seems like a decent buy.
Thanks for your help.
*edit - seems i cant start a new topic yet, or something similar to that, so any comments here would be great.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Make sure your receiver has an auto calibration system. Pioneer has the MCACC. Other manufacturers use different names.
Ping a moderator and they will give you the ability to start new threads. Rarely does a new member take the time to start threads in the appropriate sub forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks