2.0 soundtracks

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Walsh, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Jack Walsh

Jack Walsh Auditioning

Hi, everyone. 1st time poster but longtime reader. I'm somewhat confused by the whole original soundtrack vs. 5.1 remix debate.
    Many DVD's, particularly those by Paramount and Columbia, have both 2.0 and 5.1 soundtracks. What is confusing is trying to figure out, on older movies before around 1993, if the 2.0 version is the original Dolby Stereo track as played in the theaters or if it's the downmixed version of the 5.1 on the disc. I don't like "compromised" soundtracks because I feel something is missing. I like having the original track for completist's sake. Can anyone shed some light on this?

2. CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho Stunt Coordinator

No, it´s not the 5.1 DownMix. The idea behind incluiding a 2.0 is to not let the player make Downmix, but to include a version that reflects the author intention.
    I do not like this on current movies anyway, they are wasting space on a track that is the original theatrical presentation (Of course if the movie is old, and had a mono or stereo presesntation, with a remixed 5.1 track , the original must be present).

3. Jack Walsh

Jack Walsh Auditioning

That's true. The intent is to present it seperately. But is there an example in which the 2.0 version is actually the downmixed version, just presented separately so that the player doesn't have to? Because if there is, I would be wary of original sound mixes on a disc when it isn't, really.
    I seem to remember someone posting something like this happened on the Suspiria DVD. How would you know if the 2.0 mix is THE original version if it played that way theatrically?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There's probably no way to know for sure (except, possibly, asking the DVD's producers). Presumably, if the film was first released in 2.0 stereo (surround or otherwise), that's what should be used. But there are no guarantees, and if a film has been remixed for 5.1, it's entirely possible that a 2.0 track was also remixed.
    M.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

This larger question of knowing how close to the original threatrical mix a given DVD soundtrack may be is difficult.
    There are cases where mono movies are released on DVD in 5.1 only.
    There are cases where movies that had multi-channel sound (Annie) in the theater (70 mm) are released on DVD in 2.0 only because the master tracks are lost. Cabaret is another example of a 2.0 DVD that sounds horrible, because the theatrical multi-tracks are damaged or lost.
    You also get cases where people just want to fool around with the sound for whatever reason. Think of all the different 5.1 audio versions of Jurrasic Park. Which one is accurate? What about Ben-Hur, which was remixed for DVD in a manner that changed it's character entirely from the original film.
    Camelot is another DVD with audio that maybe 5.1 but that misses the mark of reflecting its original sound.
    -dave