What's new

1st time user (1 Viewer)

rfun1942

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
I just bought a new 42" Samsung TV while my wife was out of town!! I'd like to expand it to the next level when she goes on her next trip but I know nothing about creating or installing a home theater or surrond sound system.
Consumer reports had a nice article about some systems which helped a little. Also i talked to the guys a Best Buy but feel they push centain stuff and don't have your best intrest or cost in mind. Found u guys by acident and looks good. So where do I start?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How much can you spend? Do you want an 'all in one' setup or are you willing to learn how to put a good system together yourself (this takes some time to do right). Are you looking for small speakers or can you have large ones?

The more you can tell us what you want, the better the recommendations will be.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, what are your goals? You can't have concert level output or realistic gut wrenching explosions if you only have $100 to spend. Most of us have pieced our systems together over the years. I'm also more of a DIY type of guy. I couldn't pay over $1,000 for a projector screen so I built one for $75 over a weekend. I also built all of my speakers and subs as well as run over a mile of audio/video cables throughout my house.

-Robert

rfun1942

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
I dont have a ton of money but that being said I'd like to learn about the differernt componets and how they interact. Id love to build a system piece by piece.Seem the best way to learn this stuff.

It took me a while to figure what the heck a thread was. Is there an area to learn the jargon going on here?

Lets get started!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
HI Russ. Welcome to HTF!

Learning is half the fun of this hobby so you have come to the right place.

In general - you need a AV Receiver that will become the heart of your system. You want one with lots of spare inputs because you will likely have:

- HD cable or sat box
- PS3/xbox
- TV sound

all hooked up to it.

Start by checking out the Onkyo TX-SR 505, 605 or even the 705 receivers. These are packing a LOT of features for units that start about $380.

Then you need speakers. You do NOT need audiophile grade speakers for a HT system. As long as all the speakers are tone-matched and properly placed and adjusted, less expensive speakers work great.

rfun1942

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ
Thanks for the start. I'll check on the AV Receiver and look at some speakers.

My TV is in a cabinet so I dont have a lot of space for large speakers. It is in a family room so I can mount the speakers either in the ceiling or on the back wall I also have room on top of the cabinet the tv is in.

One question how does this intergrade with a surround system? and also as long as Im doing it Im thinking Blu-ray & DVD player.

And to complicate my life more I'd like to be able to record off of my DVR.

Am i getting to deep to fast?

Thanks,
Russ

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The Receiver IS the surround system.

If you get something like the Onkyo receiver you do this:

- Feed HDMI to the Onkyo from the BluRay player
- Feed video and audio to the Onkyo from the DVR
- Feed the TV with HDMI from the Onkyo (which will convert the analog to HDMI for you)

Your BluRay player IS also a DVD player so you dont need both.

mylan

Screenwriter

OK, this right here just looks like a recipe for disaster, anybody else see what i'm talking about?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

My wife's job started requiring frequent travel so I was left home with the 3 kids.

In self-defense I bought a used Sega Genesis and the Sega Channel from our cable company. Slowly it grew that with every trip - I would buy a toy.

So it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks