What's new

1st time HT setup. Need advice. (1 Viewer)

Frank DG

Auditioning
After browsing this forum for a few months, I've finally made my choices for a first home theater set-up.

Denon AVR-1803 receiver
Sony 5-disc dvd player
JBL NSP1 w/ PB10 subwoofer

I have so many questions, but right now, I'm trying to figure out how to hook it all together.

The tv that I'm using now (not for long though) is a Zenith 27". The only connections on this tv are an antenna/cable connection, a right and left variable audio output and an auxillary composite video imput.

The DVD player has 4 outputs: coax digital, composite, s-video and component.

I figured that I would hook the dvd straight to the tv with the composite connection, which I think is my only option. Then the coax digital out to the receiver.

Do I also have to connect the dvd player to the receiver, if so, should that be a component or s-video connection?
How about the tv. Does it get connected to the receiver or is connecting it to the dvd alone sufficient?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Butch S

Auditioning
If I'm not mistaken, trying to route most DVD players through anything (VCR, Reciever) will trip the Macrovision, and distort the picture.

Hook the DVD directly to the TV using whatever adapter you need, then run the sound from your DVD player to the Reciever.

If you have a cable box, just the cable, ect, hook that up to the TV, and run an audio out from the TV to the Reciever.

Viola.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Down the line when you upgrade the TV, you can use a "higher" video connection straight to the TV (s-video, component) or switch via the receiver if you wish to do so., especially if you have multiple video sources such as a DVD player, satellite, game console, LD etc.

You just need to connect the composite from the DVD to the TV aux input and the digital to your receiver. To watch a DVD just switch the TV to the aux input and turn on your receiver. To play a CD just play it through the receiver like a DVD. You can connect the DVD to the receiver then to the TV but you've got no reason to since you don't have multiple video sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks