1st Project Recommendations

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnnyKretentiv, Feb 11, 2005.

1. JohnnyKretentiv

JohnnyKretentiv Stunt Coordinator

I have a 65" Mitsu HDTV right now that I really am quite happy with. But...... I have the bug to upgrade. I was looking into a projector. Something under 2 grand that does HD and is widescreen. Don't shoot me now but I have see some on the Home Shopping Network (Infocus and Sharp) for about $1200 with a 106" screen. What's the catch here.

Also if the image quality is not going to be better than my TV that give me a slap and tell me to spend my money on something else. Thanks All

My room is about 14 by 20.

One more thing if I do go with a projector I will still keep the tv hooked up (it's paid for why get rid of it). So I would need a splitter that can handle HD (1080i) via component preferably through sensing (no remotes) Is audio authority any good?

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, the only catch are that those are most likely SVGA (800 x 450), which is probably fine if you are sitting 2x the screen width and watching DVDs. For HDTV, it probably wouldn't be as good as your Mitsu. Both projectors (the 4805 and the Z3 respectively) are pretty good for what they are, tho.

If I were you, I'd probably look at the Panasonic AE700. It probably would more fit your needs, and can be had around $2K.

Go to www.projectorcentral.com to judge for yourself to see what would work for you. Front projection is definitly worth it.

Jason

3. JohnnyKretentiv

Thanks for the reply. I have considered the Pany and thought that might be a good choice and it's also quite affordable. What would be a good resolution to look for 1280-??? (I forgot the other pix rating)?

I do notice that the throw dist. is quite large with the Pany. I only have about 19 or 20 feet to work with. Well "guess" 110 inches diagonal is going to be big enuf,

Thanks
    JK

4. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

According to the projection calculator on projectorcentral.com, a throw distance of 19 feet will give you a diagonal picture of anywhere between 94" and about 184" for the Panasonic AE700U. I think the limiting factor becomes lumens, not throw distance.

5. JohnnyKretentiv

I didn't look at the zoom function. So you're right the throw is not a problem. I have complete control over the lighting in my room. I can make it 100% dark. So do you think lumens will be a problem with a 100 - 106 inch image?

6. DonRC

DonRC Stunt Coordinator

I hope not. I'm planning on getting an AE700U in a completely light-controlled room and projecting a 120" image. [​IMG]

7. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

My 700 is plenty bright on low lamp mode with a 110" screen. 120" would be no problem. Very good pj, I highly recommend it.

8. JohnnyKretentiv

Good. I was afraid if that wasn't enuf i was going t have to venture outside of my fiancial comfort zone.

How about the Pany 500 in this situation?

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I'm interested in this also because I'll be moving soon and want to set up a dedicated home theater in the basement. I also currently own a 65" Mitsubishi and am debating keeping it or going with front projection. I actually have a buyer for my Mitsubishi if I want to sell it so I'm leaning that way. I'll take a look at that Panny and the ProjectorCentral web site.