1st Home Theater

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan Mertz, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

I have a big screen TV and DVD player and I am looking to buy a low price home theater in a box, preferrably under $300. I know that is cheap, but its for a small room and I don't need anything that is going to blow the roof off, I just want to be able to experience surround sound from many of the DVDs I have. Plus I no longer have a way to listen to CDs since my CD player died. So I want a low price receiver/6 speaker package, but I don't know if there a decent ones for under $300.

I know I need DTS/Dolby Digital but I'm not sure about the minimum amount of watts I should look for in the entire system, and for each speaker. I have found the following packages for under $300 and would like some opinions on them:

Toshiba SD-43HT (DD/DTS, 350 Total watts/70 watt subwoofer) $199

Panasonic SC-HT650 (DD/DTS, 360 watts) $280

Sony HTDDW750 (DD/DTS, 500? watts/75 watt subwoofer, Digital inputs) $299

Does anyone know of any major problems with systems similar to these? Are they worth the low price?

2. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

The weakest part of any HTIB is the speakers and sub. If you look at the speaker construction does it have a tweeter and a midrange/woofer. If it doesn't have these two speakers then it probably doesn't even have a crossover circuit that directs the high and low frequencies to their counterpart speakers.
    Subwoofers are designed to give a low pressure sensation. That feeling won't come from a cheap sub you'll just hear a bass sound.
    If you go too low in price you'll be missing out on alot of the sensations that comes with the "theater experience."
    If you up your budget to $500 you'll find a system that will give you that experience you might be looking for.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=sxhtb

3. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Most of the HTIB sound horrible. Big frequency gaps, muddy sound, weak sound, lack of any highs.....etc. Also, volumes aren't that loud. Ian is right, try to up the budget to $500. Better to get a cheaper speaker/ receiver combo.