1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

1st FP, SP5000 impressions, living room

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John S, Jan 9, 2006.

1. John S

John S Producer

I just installed my SP5000 last friday night.. I spent a ton of time with this projector over this weekend. Using the 76" Free Pull Down Screen. That screen is bigger than it needs to be vertically by pretty much, which is way cool as I still get a 66"+ 4:3 screen. I watch a ton of black and White old 4:3 material. 4:3 OAR you know.

Laser discs viewed - Men In Black, Return Of the Jedi, Terminator2 (Pan and Scan), and Best Friends (Pan and Scan)
    I chose two of my best LD's, and one so so T2, and one real bad one best Friends. I wanted to check 4:3 performance as well as widescreen performance on them. The best two were religeous experiences (1st FP), The other two were still impressive enough for NTSC 4:3 fed to an HD Digital FP.

HD Content - All the NFL Playoff Games (4 total), A couple of Jazz Concerts on PBS, My Local News is in HD off all things (several time slots of that as well), Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (BW Upconvert on the HD PBS Feed)
    Gottas love HD on a good large screen, the Black and White performance seemed very good to me as well.

DVD (Scaled to 1080i on Component Video) - Finding Nemo, all three Lord Of The Rings, Ace Ventura When Nature Calls
    The DVD scaled by the player runnign component was the most impressive to me. I mean HDTV is supposed to look good, but what I am getting from my DVB318 is nearly as jaw dropping in all honesty.

Probably some other stuff too. [​IMG]

All I can say is, you would have to be a pretty darn serious videophile to want any better performance than is thing delivers at least at 76". Way beyond my expectations, which I thought were pretty high to start with, I actualy thought I was a bit of a videophile, but anybody not happy with this projector must be a real videophile which means I must not be for sure.

A 4805 owner came over by the way for some HD, not that he thought it was better than his 4805 in general, but he did comment, on how great it was including the contrast with the room so bright. , he thought that was much better than his 4805. I had 7 people watching the later NFL game yesterday.

I had to basically flood the room with light before performance dropped off to even a notice-able level.

I'd give the projector, the highest of marks. The low price just puts it over the top in bang for buck as well.

2. John S

John S Producer

PS: I noticed my Zenith HDV420 HD OTA STB had a VGA out and my Projector has a VGA in... Any reason not to connect it in this manner?

3. John S

John S Producer

I did change to the VGA connection. maybe a slight improvement, I guess I switched becuase I had a nice cable laying around and the fact it was there. [​IMG]

This thing only has so many HD Res inputs, so sort of cool I can keep my DVI/HDCP clear for other / future uses. I use component at 1080i for my DVD player right now.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Glad you are enjoying your first projector John. Very cool. [​IMG] I got my first one in June 2003 and still get a big silly grin nearly every time I watch a film.

You will find, like I did, that you will be re-discovering your movie library.

Enjoy! [​IMG]

5. John S

John S Producer

Definetly re-discovering my movie library.

I know everybody says that, but these front projectors will change your life!!! [​IMG]

I even decided to break back down and have Dish HD installed tomorrow.

6. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

Good choice John!! The recent price drop made the sp5000 unbeatable!!

7. Matt-Z

Matt-Z Stunt Coordinator

Hey John S, it looks to me that I'm asking all the same questions that you were just a couple of weeks ago. I'm keenly interested in how you are feeling about: 1.LCD 2.Refurb 3.5000 vs 4805, ie HD vs non. I too will mostly be watching LD's and DVD's as well as Directv I suppose too. I also will probably not be upgrading my DVD player either. Without the Far-Ouigi chip (or whatever it's called) how does stuff look? Crummy? My general rule of buying stuff is to spend just a little more than I had budgeted, and the 5000 fits that bill. I've just spent so much time drooling over DLP that I must have ignored everything on LCD. I don't know, I just noticed that all the 4805's disappeared from Ebay and are not available on their web-site for now. So, now that I've got the go-ahead from my wife I don't know what the heck I am going to do!
    Matt

8. John S

John S Producer

After dealing with 2 different SP4805's for other people, and getting to see one SP5000 before I decided to take the plunge, and now having the projector setup for two weeks.

I'd absolutely say get the SP5000 over the SP4805 unless your theater is dedicated. Mine is in a living room. In a dedicated theater the SP4805 some may say is better, I'd rank them about even.

The Sp5000 is a killer living room projector. We have two 60 watt torche lamps going on in the room and they do not even phase the SP5000, they defiently would impair the SP4805 and a slew of other not as bright projectors.

I'm feeding my DVD via a very good component upconversion to 1080i, but it does nto handle 4:3 DVD's at all. I am searching for a solution now.

The Laserdisc performance was the most pleasant surprise on the projector, very very good.

Keep in mind I am drving a small screen compared to most, so that I am sure has a lot to do with my impressions. I'm just using the 76" free screen which seems extremely good to me.

My siginifcant other loves the projector. She is actually turning into a bit of a video / audiophile. I'm so proud of her. [​IMG]

I mention the 4:3 issue, because I think I am going to just put a cheapie player into my system just for those titles. (Mostly TV on DVD stuff) So I could have a much more in depth view of the internal de-interlacer and scaler very soon, but with how good it is on Laserdisc via svideo, I am fairly confident of it's capabilites already.

Infocus knows how to make HT projectors, have no doubt. Those negative comments you read about with this projector just don't pan out compared to the performance and enjoyment I am having with the system. I'd say in a living room environment, this may be one of the best projectors out there. Very bright.

My use-age is way high, I just had my first scheduled filter cleaning yesterday, not even at quite 2 weeks ownership. [​IMG]

For the $900 spent, the refurb with free screen and free shipping has the bang for buck through the roof on this thing in my opinion.

It has broght back the HD sports crowd to my house, that's for sure. Ok, that is probably a draw back, not a positive in all honesty. But since I got it, I have had house fulls of people for the NFL playoff games, the crowd had quite dwindled over the years for me as my old 60" display became passe.

9. John S

John S Producer

PS: My dish NTSC stuff seems great with the newer box, upconverting everything to 720p.