What's new

1st dvd with REAL special features (1 Viewer)

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
not a trailer or production notes, but morely like what was the first one with a commentary, featuretts, documentary and so on. I think it was the Martix but I am not sure.

ChrisP

Agent
I know Contact had a significant amount of making of stuff well before the Matrix, but i think there may have been ones even earlier.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
While I am positive that there is a thread on this topic somewhere...

It was The Mask...(w/Jim Carrey)

You can't honestly believe that The Matrix, which came out in September 1999, was the first DVD with special features. That's two and a half years into DVD.

-Chad

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Contact was one of the earliest SEs. In fact it was so popular there were huge shortages at retailers and online stores when it first arrived.

Apollo 13 was a pretty early DVD and had a terrific making-of documentary, a Ron Howard commentary and a commentary with the real Jim and Marilyn Lovell. Plus it was mastered in HD. Psycho and Vertigo were pretty loaded as well, although I believe they were straight LD ports as were Dante's Peak and 12 Monkeys all by Universal. Lost in Space was another early SE as was Austin Powers. There's probably dozens more I haven't thought of. In short Matrix was far from the first SE.

- Guy

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
Hey, I gotinto DVD when the PS2 came out and all of the major magazines were braging about how the Matrix was very feeature packed and the best DVD by far.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Help!

A 1996 DVD with all of the Criterion extras (plus a better transfer of the film). The real star of the DVD is the behind-the-scenes footage shot by Ringo Starr on 16mm. (and the Running Jumping Standing Still Film by Richard Lester.)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Help!

A 1996 DVD
Where? In Japan? Certainly not in the U.S., as DVD did not debut here until 1997.

The Mask sounds right, although I don't have the disc in front of me. The first Universal titles were not special editions (remember, they were predominantly pan&scan and in jewel cases). Contact and Amadeus came in December of 1997. Contact set the early standard for DVD special editions, with its multiple commentary tracks and behind-the-scenes documentaries.

- Steve

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Not for nothing, but there were many laserdiscs with tons of additional features before the advent of DVD.

I know that this doesn't really answer your question, but it is directionally correct.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Commentaries date back pretty far on DVD, 1997's Thelma and Louise had one, including the alternate ending. Making ofs were also on discs way back. The Man Who Would Be King had one. For an SE, probably the earliest I have is Lawnmower Man, but Mask is probably in there somewhere as well. Contact definately raised the bar.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
There were many titles prior to the Matrix that beat it in terms of supplements in my mind. Contact is most certainly one of them, along with many of Universal's Collector's Edition releses which, back then, were ports of their Signature Selection LD box sets.

Dan

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Mask looks like the first DVD with an audio commentary and deleted scenes. Many of the earlier released of this DVD did not even have the New Line Platinum Series banner since it was not even concieved yet.

Ike

Screenwriter
Hey, I gotinto DVD when the PS2 came out and all of the major magazines were braging about how the Matrix was very feeature packed and the best DVD by far.
But no where was it said it was the first. I had several DVD's that I owened before The Matrix that I still think are better.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Just some of the fully packed DVDs before the Matrix...

The Lawnmower Man

Lost In Space

Contact

Blade

Lethal Weapon 4

U.S. Marshals

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
The Mask looks like the first DVD with an audio commentary and deleted scenes. Many of the earlier released of this DVD did not even have the New Line Platinum Series banner since it was not even concieved yet.
My copy of Austin Powers has a gold colored Special Edition banner on it, no mention of Platinum Series. I don't remember what the first Platinum Series disc was. Anybody remember?

As for The Mask, it was released on 3/25/1997. Good luck finding a SE released in Region 1 before that.

-Chad

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The first DVD with the New Line Platinum Series banner might have been Lost In Space.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks