1st day with new sony dvp-nc655 is not good

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_M, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

David Martin
    Just bought this new prog scan dvd changer today and was hoping for an improvement over my old non-prog dvp-c650d. Since I'm new to prog scan, it may be my settings, but this is a step backwards. Black level and image sharpness were really messed up. I recalibrated with Avia, but couldn't get the brightness adjusted correctly.(I have to crank the control to get the bars to show). It reminded me a lot of trying to calibrate the original Apex 600a where there was no way to get the black level set correctly. Menus and text were also noticeably blurry in progressive mode. When I switch the player to interlaced, the settings I had before with the old player work fine and look the same. Any thoughts on the unit or settings are appreciated. FYI- I'm using a Sony 61HS10 for the TV.
    Dave

2. Robert C Wall

Hmmm - I am considering buying this unit, or the Toshiba 3805. How do you like it other than the progressive settings?

3. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

David Martin
    Well, it's been a little difficult to get past the video part, but it is a versatile player. I've tried a disc of mp3's and it worked fine, although no shuffle of tracks is allowed on an mp3 disc. Disc access is also much faster than the old player. Set up is easy. I don't believe you can input text anymore, but it does read text. The only thing that seems to be missing is the bookmark feature.
    Maybe my initial question should have been: Is it normal when switching from interlaced to progressive on the same player to have major differences in black level and brightness? Convergence seems to have stayed about the same.

Dave

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I've not heard of this problem from anyone switching from an interlaced player to a prog-scan player. What about any other factors in your basic setup? What's your display device?

5. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Hey Dave,

Glad to hear from someone with this player. I don't have any idea what the problem is with your progressive output.

Does the player have the chroma bug?

Phil

6. Dave_M

Dave_M Agent

David Martin
    OK, another few hours of trying to get progressive to look better than interlaced and I was about to jump off my balcony. So, I hopped over to yahoo e-groups Sony HS10 TV site. To my relief, I'm not insane and there are many topics about much darker and blurrier pictures when using many models of prog scan players with the HS10 series of TV's(as well as other Sony TV's). If you do an archive search under the word 'progressive' many come up. Here is a link to one of them, but you may need to be a member of the group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs...ry=progressive
    Anyway, the consensus of many people(after making endless picture adjustments like I did) was to leave their player in interlaced mode. Higher quality(more $$)prog players may do the job, but I'm not going to spend more than I did on the dvp-nc655p. That was part of it's appeal. I guess I'll compare my older Sony with the newer and keep what has the best interlaced picture/features.
    Too much adjusting = not enough movies
    Dave

7. Conroy Tesa

Conroy Tesa Stunt Coordinator

Interesting.
    My friend loaned me his NAD progressive T571 and I noticed that the progressive picture on my 36xbr400 is 'blurry' and soft compared to the interlaced.
    I know the DRC in my set isn't the best but the progressive picture seems unacceptable.