What's new

$1K to spend. What should I buy? What do I need? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Hi folks!
I happen to have a grand which I can blow on a toy or two. First, take a peek at my current system Link Removed
Next, here is what I've been considering...
1. Since we listen to alot of FM radio here in my house, I thought buying a Magnum Dynalab tuner might be a good addition. I can buy an Etude for about $800 or a new MD-100 for about $1100. But, my wife hates no remote tuners...
2. I've been dying to try to archive some HDTV recorded movies off of my HiPix HTPC onto a D-VHS. For that task, I'm considering a JVC D-VHS for $1000.
3. I also need a headphone amplifier so that I can enjoy other inputs than my SACD player. I've been eyeing the MG Head OTL amp for around $325 plus some custom tubes for another $50 or so. I also could upgrade my phono preamp to a nice tubed unit for around $600 and then upgrade my phono cartridge to a nice Ortophan for around $200.
4. I also am interested in getting a balanced power unit. However, usually they are expensive and offer no other options like surge protection or sequential turn on programming... then, I found the Monster Power HTPS7000. I can get it for around $1100.
Which of these choices or what other $1K addition/upgrade would you consider to my system. I am open to almost anything... so let your imaginations soar!
Thanks for your help!

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Depending upon whether you listen to more redbook CDs or vinyl, I'd consider a new DAC, or TT+cartridge, or phono stage. A grand on either of the three should produce very noticeable improvements. Another possibility is a used 2-ch preamp - careful patient looking could find you one with both an improved phono stage and headphone section.

Chip E

Screenwriter
John,
I've got my eye on the MG Head as well (over at headroom) I picked up a pair of Senn HD580's for $150.00 (95% of the performance of the Senn HD600)... Looks like a decent entry into headphone amps pretty cheap, don't it? BTW, i did see your posts over there :)
I'm also considering the Grado RA-1...just wish it had a detachable cord. Seems alot of people like the RA-1 with 580/600's too. I think the reason is, it may add some upper sizzle to the Senns.. i dunno?

JerryIII

Stunt Coordinator
John,
I would reccommend either a Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC or having your 555ES hot rodded. The nice thing about the P-3A is that you can add the P-1 to it down the line and improve upon it's performance even more with anti jitter, reclocking, and room correction software. The P-3A can be hot rodded too. I have directly compared the P-3A to the Sony 9000ES and the P-3A bested it every time IMHO. http://www.av123.com/ptprod.html
Jerry
BTW: how do you have the RP-91 and the 555ES hooked up at the same time? Is one of them not hooked up via 5.1 outputs or do you have a switcher. Another idea is to get the switcher that ShawnFogg is selling so that you can switch between DVD-A and SACD. actually you could get both the P-3A and the switcher for ~$1000. Nice system!

J

John Morris

Wow! Great recommendations so far. Thanks! Keep 'em coming.
ASL MG Head OTL
Chip: Yes, I saw you over there as well. I spent two hours listening to music via my Senn HD-600's last night, and wow, they never fail to impress me. And, I'm only hooked up through my SACD headphone output. I can only wonder how much better the Head would make the music sound!? What is the current most recommended tubes to use with the Head OTL and the Senns? BTW, I also can get a Moretto Tubed HAP-03 for right around $400. It is unproven but would be an adventure... :)

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Balanced power can be had for less than $1000 and you can get it WITH surge protection. Go here - http://www.b-p-t.com/ to check them out. Great reviews on these units. If you call to talk to them, you'll end up talking to the owner and you can get customized stuff like surge protection for a couple extra bucks.

J

John Morris

Balanced power can be had for less than $1000 and you can get it WITH surge protection.
Brian: thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking at the BPT units for a little while now. They sure must be good since so many folks just swear by them. The new 2.5 looks like it would be the one that I'd want but that darn Monster unit is just so darn cool looking. Must do more research.

Chip E

Screenwriter
John,

I don't really know much about the different tubes yet.. it's actually all new too me.. Tube rolling! lmao... this hobby is crazy. haha.. I'll tell ya though, i bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250-80's last week from headroom. They sound good through my 555ES but, better from my B&K jack. They were a little muddy and restrained sounding (i'm sure an amp would help). I boxed them up and returned them yesterday. The Senn 580's should be here soon. I'm still mulling around wether i want to try the RA-1 or the MG Head. I'll say this for the MG Head... it looks like your getting your money's worth just looking at that beauty. Everyone seems to like it.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Need a new remote? The MX-700 is hopefully coming out soon. That will use up a bit less than half of your allowance.

Doug

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,
Having looked at your equipment list, I can see that your system is severely underpowered! I suggest more amps!:D
Or, add another $5K to your budget and just splurge on the ACI Jag LE's with the LFM's!
Brian

J

John Morris

Having looked at your equipment list, I can see that your system is severely underpowered! I suggest more amps!
Brian: :)
Building a pair of those Jags are still on my radar though... does ACI still sell the driver/crossover kit for under $800 each pair?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,
Yes, the kits are for sale from Subwoofers.com for $749 or $769 with prebuilt crossovers. Having built the crossovers, I'd say spend the $20 for the prebuilt! The money spent is well worth the time saved.
It's highly possible I may build my own version of the Jag LE's with my own LFM (no built in amp, EQ, etc.) at some point. You could buy the Jag kit and 4 SV10's (same drivers as the LFM) for $1165 with the current sale. The SV10's are currently on sale for $99 each so that's a $20 savings per driver.
Brian

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
John,
Yes, preamps with both good phono AND headphone are few and far between. I've been casually looking myself. A lot of it is just a blur now. I think I've about decided that 2 outr of 3 is the best you'll do, and since you already have a MUCH better head amp than phono stage, I'd focus on the latter. Since this is primarily for your analog, and redbook, playback, I would not go SS but rather tubes. You can find numerous good used tube pre w/phono around a grand from the likes of Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson, Rogue, Kora, Counterpoint, BAT, etc.
There's also a lot of really good analog rigs - table, arm and cartridge - for around a grand or less. (right now there's a Basis 1400/Rega RB300/Dynavector 10x4 at Agon asking 1200 or so). I've been browsing these lately too.
So many upgrades, so little time ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks