What's new

1K to spend on mains and center, please help (1 Viewer)

Ricky***C

Grip
I have $1,000 to spend on mains and a center. Looking hard at a pair of Paradigm Monitor 7's and a CC370 for $979 plus tax. The receiver will be either a Denon 3803, Pioneer Elite 45TX, or a Marantz SR7300.

What other speaker brands should I look at at this price point and that compare to the Paradigm setup.

I will be visiting a store this Saturday that carries B&W.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bry_DD

Second Unit
Axioms M60ti with VP150. I got M60ti from Axiom's factory outlet and a new VP150 for $1030.

Philip A

Agent
Don't overlook an amazing set from Dahlquist available from Marc at the Audio Shop http://www.audioshop.on.ca/. I have their flagship QX10's and the QX60C. Wow. FOTR has so much for speakers to reproduce--from the voice straight out of the center at the start to the cave troll scene (and of course the Sauron mayhem in the beginning) and these Dahlquists are frighteningly good. I have an M&K 12" sub that I have switched off--that's how good the QX10's do on bass.
Anyway, just adding my recent experience. Have fun whatever you do. Email Marc for a price (don't forget, if you are in the US, the loonies only cost us 60-65%).
Forgot to tell you that Marc sells Paradigm along with Axiom and Totem. He'll tell you what his local customers think from straight a/b tests in his showrooms.
Link Removed

Luke_Y

Second Unit
If you are in northern Ohio a short drive to Canada would probably put you in the Paradigm Studio range.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Ricky,

I think JBL is the best brand to spend over $1000, combined with SVS. Consider the S series. This is my setup

Four S26 $360
S center $141
SVS 25-31 PCi $500

I hope phil see this thread so he can give you better advice on JBL. But for me it is great setup for $1000 you hardly can bet it.

In a 2.1 setup, JBL has other options that could fit your budget.

S412 $370 each = $740 pair
or S38 $280 pair
And ad an SVS for $500

Now with reciever, I have an SR6200 pair with JBL-SVS, great combination, I think the SR7300 will be an excelent match for it as well.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Ricky***C

Grip
Thanks for all the responses. Just got of the phone with a B&W dealer and he recommended the Athena ASF-2 at my price point. He said they compare well to the Monitor 7's.
Never heard of this line. Are they any good?

I have thought about heading into Canada and picking up some studios. I'm only 3 hours away from Buffalo, NY.

Thanks again and keep the responses coming.

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Go used and score yourself Paradigm Studio 60's and a Studio CC. This might run you about $1100 actually, but you won't regret it.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Three VMPS QSO626s @ $349 each = $1047.
Can be picked up for "much" less through a dealer.
They would be perfectly matched and if you compare specs with most anything else in its price range, they are hard to beat.
Listening will really be the only test, but you would be hard pressed to find a more musical speaker without getting into $3000 or more for three.
Look here:
picture: Link Removed
info: http://www.vmpsaudio.com/qsodoc1.htm
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks