$1K sub suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike_balt, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Mike_balt

Mike_balt Auditioning

I just moved my HT into a larger room (@3500sft basement). Old sub was weak, but is now helpless. I'd really welcome your input.

I've got a Denon AVR-3802 running Klipsch SF-2s, SC1, SS-1s and other Klipsch rears. The sub I've currently got is an infiniti BU-2 (12", 75W?). So I'm looking at what to move to. I'm willing to spend $1K and have read a lot of the threads. Seems like many people would vote for the SVS 20-39PC-Plus. I've also read some raves on the EARTHQUAKE SUPERNOVA MKIV-12.

I have not heard either of these, but I've also read the thread comparing them to a Mercedes vs. a corevette. Both do a great job, just refined vs. raw.

I use the system 100% for watching movies, so I'm not too concerned with musical quality.

So any thoughts? Is it just a matter of personal preference? Anything else I should be considering?

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

the standard replys are SVS, Hsu, or Adire Audio. You also might want to contact Brian Bunge at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com and he will custom build you a sub to your budget and specfications that is probably at least as good as the others.

Hope this helps.

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

With 3500 cu-ft in a basement, the PB-2isd would be a better choice over the PC+ from SVS. Concrete flooring tends to subjectively *soak up* bass because it doesn't allow any tactile feedback thru to the seating positions(unless you have a riser for the seats?). So folks tend to crank the bass calibration level up to compensate for the missing *shake* factor. That is OK, but you have to be sure the subwoofer has the horsepower in reserve to handle that.

A pair of Vel CHT15s or JBL S120s would also be pretty potent bass systems.

Tom V.
    SVS

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Ok, I'll be the SVS brand pusher in the thread this time! Get a PB2-ISD with that size room and budget, there is no way your gonna get better quality, room rattling HT bass for that $$$. Maybe if music was the main concern there could be some other considerations, but thats not the case If you can stretch more $$$, I'd get the PB2+. The PC+ ain't gonna cut it with that big a room if you listen at pretty loud levels. Good luck choosing.

5. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

This is an easy one...

Paradigm Servo Series

check it out at www.paradigm.ca

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The most clean bass for your money is probably going to be the SVS PB2-ISD.

I also suggest checking out what Brian can offer in your price range.