$1k projector round-up

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott L, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Looks like these are the most popular for 1st Qtr '04:

Infocus X1 (DLP) $950 w/Faroudja - Link

Pluses
    -Easily the most popular, big support groups online
    -Long bulb life - 3,000 hours
    -Faroudja de-interlacer available for $50 more

Minuses
    -Slow 2x color wheel, many have reported being too bothered with the rainbow effect
    -No Component input so can't accecpt an interlaced signal with a transcoder (only a real problem with the Xbox dashboard)

*Bottom Line: The first qulaity DLP to break the $1k barrier. Starting to show its age but still sports better than competion bulb life.

Dell 2200MP (DLP) $900 - Link

Pluses
    -20% brighter than the X1
    -Competitive Texas Inst. adaptive motion deinterlacer
    -With all the Dell coupons available may be cheaper than X1
    -Included Component to VGA cable
    -Have yet to hear of anyone complaining about rainbows

Minuses
    -No Component input so can't accecpt an interlaced signal with a transcoder (only a real problem with the Xbox dashboard)

*Bottom Line: This may be the "new" X1.

Epson PowerLite Home 10 (LCD) $1299 - Link

Pluses
    -An affordable 16:9 WVGA, $1079 at J&R
    -Component input included
    -Costs a little more but excellent buy for the money

Minuses
    -Contrast and brightess not as good as the DLP projectors
    -Screen door effect noticeable but only at big 100"+ screen sizes
    -For the money a DVI input should be included

*Bottom Line: In a light controlled room this is the projector to get for DVDs and HDTV.

Sanyo PLV-Z1 (LCD) $1100 online - Link

Don't know much about this projector except it's a 16:9 LCD but about a year and a half old. If it's worth comparing here let me know.

Also to note: I don't know much about the difference between long throw, short throw, angles, etc.. If someone knows those specs can you please post it, I plan on mounting it from the ceiling. I wanted to include the Pana L300U since it offers DVI bt cost hovers around $1500. Anything else to add, fix please post as well.

2. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Check out the Boxlight Matinee 1HD also. It's a Sanyo PLV-Z1 clone with a better warrantee and pixel guarantee. It's my pick for the price range. The 2HD is out also.

3. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

what about the BenQ 6100? that seems pretty popular...

4. LouAR

LouAR Stunt Coordinator

Did you check out the Hitachi Home 1? Just reviewed on Projector Central: http://www.projectorcentral.com/hitachi_home_1.htm
    Lowest price I could find was $1299 at New Egg (w/free ground fedex) but you can get it for that same price at Projector People and they claim to include a DVD/VCR (don't know their shipping). The replacement bulb is only $199

As for the throw(s), this is very significant to me, check each projector on Projectore Central and go to the Projection calculator for each. There you can set either your image size or your fixed throw and it shows you the other (and zoom if available on that proj.).

Let me know what you think.
    ~LOu~

5. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

If you go to projectorcentral you can get more info on the Sanyo Z1.
    It is a great product for the < $1,300 price. I own it and can vouch for it.
    It is a short throw projector. Most say a 80" wide screen is best for it. It has a Component, S-video, Composite, and VGA input. Many people say a HTPC setup results in the best picture with this. HDTV looks great on it. It has lense shift which is a plus if you cant mount it perfectly dead on.

6. Jack_H

Jack_H Auditioning

How do these budget front projectors compare to LCD RPTV? What are the pros and cons? In the next couple of months I am planning on spending about 3k for a display. I dont think I want a 100" front projector if a 50" LCD RPTV is going to have a better picture (my feelings on this are open to debate). Ambient light is not an issue for my HT, but sometimes (when watching sports) I like a little ambient light so I can see what I am eating. I was leaning towards LCD RPTV because I dont want rainbows. Should I consider front projection?

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You should add the Panasonic PT-L200u LCD to that list. Still available for $1100.

Jack, I will say this 50" is small. I bought a 46" RPTV and after 6 months, I found it to be too small. Yes, these lower priced FP's will not have quite the image quality of an RPTV, but if your after BIG picture, FP is the way to go. I was so impressed with my Panny 200u LCD FP I'll never go back to a TV. My family and friends said they cannot tell the difference between my current FP and my old Mits RPTV. I can, of course, but they are stunned at the image quality...as am I.

Don't buy a TV until you check out the current line up of FP's in your price range.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Agree with the addition of the Panny 200u.

The 300u is also coming down around that price and it's excellent.

I would vote for the Sanyo Z1/Boxlight 1HD (I did).

It has a higher pixel count than any you've listed and has excellent contrast...

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I think the BenQ 6100 is a serious contender too. Still has some slight rainbows but for around $999 with a $100 rebate that makes it really worth a look see.

Parker

10. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

Can I put my 2 cents in? Good. I'm new to the HT scene and didn't have a too many chances to compare lowend projectors side by side, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

It all started out with our 27" Magnavox that was going bad. (we got it second-hand for $35, I can't complain one bit) I wanted to get a decent HT in a box (around $450, ready to go), so I started looking at a bigger replacement TV. Holy crap, a decent big(ger) screen TV will run me $500!! Thats when I started looking at projectors and I saw the X1 with good reviews for around a grand. That's not horribly expensive, especially for something that is quasi HD ready. Then I saw the Dell 2200MP, about $100 cheaper, and it spec'ed out better. After a month of research, saving, worrying and convincing my SO that this would be worth the money, I bought it (this was back in December).

I want to get the bad out of the way first. I notice some effects of a slower color wheel sometimes when I am playing games when the camera pans slowly and smoothly, some of the color gradients aren't as smooth when it pans. You have to look closely though, all my friends think I am crazy when I tell them about it. While I noticed rainbows, nobody else does unless a) I tell them how and when to look for them, and b) There's a spinning white logo on Project Gotham Racing 2 that I swear it's only purpose is to make rainbows appear on a cheap DLP projector. Everybody can see them then. I guess I changed how I watch movies or something, because now I rarely see rainbows, and they're barely noticeable when I do.

Now that I got that out of the way, I am thrilled to death with this projector. I don't regret the purchase a bit. (that's the first time I shelled out that much cash all at once) The colors are vivid, everything is so clear. I have the power management settings set to energy saver (to squeeze more life out of the bulb), even so, the picture is very bright (the diagonal is 95" in 4:3 mode) and is nice and contrasty. Granted, I have blackout drapes and shades on the windows, so it is pitch black in my living room, even at noon, but you would have to do this with any of the sub $1k projectors, and would be smart to do so with any FP system. I couldn't ask for better for the money. It's even caused me to rethink my audio portion, my audio budget has exploded. Much to _her_ dissapointment, I now have $450 in raw drivers sitting in my living room awaiting enclosures and $400 in amplification (man, I told myself I wouldn't get sucked into the HT scene when I bought the projector, oh well)

Again, I am a newbie, so take what I have said with a grain of salt. I would say that this is an excellent purchase for somebody with a smaller budget that is willing to prep a room for a FP system.

BTW, I am wondering what this interlaced signal problem is with X-Box? Currently I am using an XBox with the advanced AV pack. How does this effect me?

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Adam, thanks for the review on the Dell. Nice to hear more things on this new projector, even if you do see rainbows.

About the Xbox problem this will only affect HD Pack users that have Component out. Since the Dell only has VGA in you'd have to use a Component -> VGA transcoder. Problem is either the Dashboard for Xbox Live or the setup menu is output *only* in 640x480i. VGA only only accepts progressive signals, meaning you'd have to use S-video or RCA to see it on the X1 or Dell.

A relatively minor problem, and some members here have found ways around it.

12. Adam Demuth

Adam Demuth Agent

Hmmm... I'm using the component out/stereo out/optic out HD pack with the component to VGA cable provided with the projector. The display mode indicator on my projector says 720x480p (I run widescreen most of the time) when the main dashboard comes up. And some times higher (even though the DLP chip s only 800x600) on lgames like the Matrix that support 1080i) I have moded my XBox (so I can watch my downloaded MST3K episodes on the big screen, I'm a huge dork, I know) so I am using a different dashboard and bios. I would assume that the video out would have to do more with the video card than the OS/bios. I'll try it out on my friends stock X-Box in the next few days and see if that makes a difference.

Edit - Is is just the dashboard that doesn't show up? I did play around with it a little with the projector before I modded my box, but I wasn't familiar enough with the XBox to remember if it ever showed the dashboard or not...

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ok I did some more researching, the dashboard is for Xbox Live, not the Xbox's main setup menu. You using that?

14. Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke Extra

this thread helped make my decision. I went with an Infocus X1. After getting it home I can honestly say that I made a good decision. Now if I can only get more control over the light issues during the day time.... It shouldnt be too hard... just a trip to the fabric store for some blackout type of blinds. Thanks for all of the helpful links inside of this thread.