1k for HT recv, dvd, & speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ashford Little, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Ashford Little

Ashford Little Stunt Coordinator

A buddy of mine is willing to spend 1k on a ht receiver, dvd player and speakers. Suggestions?

Desire to stay away from HTIB systems and definitely Bose.

Thanks

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Now I haven't been budgeting for much in a while due to college, but I don't think you can get all of that for 1k, without going to HTiB.

The best be is going for a Kenwood HTB504DV, it is a full package.

One thing you have to understand is that if you aren't willing to start at the HTB area means that you want to start with good equipment. When i say good equipment it basically means major brand name speakers (Paradigm, PSB, Energy) and a nice reciever (Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Marantz) along with a half decent DVD player (pioneer, Sony, Panasonic).

To buy all of these, even in their lowest states they will cost more than $1,000.

The best bet is to be willing to start at the HTB level or up the budget.

If neither can be done, than the only other option is to piece it together over time. Buy a nice pair of Stereo speakers (Paradigm Mini Monitor), And good receiver (Denon 1802) and a well rounded DVD player (pioneer 343). Then pick up everything else piece by piece. That is really the best way to do it on a limited budget.

Note: all of the above mention equipment is just off the top of my head. I don't own any or have used any of the above equipment.

3. Ashford Little

Ryan, I appreciate your input, but it is in fact possible to compile a modest system at this price.

For example the receiver could be the Yamaha HTR-5440 $299 or the Onkyo TX-DS594 also for $299. Couple the receiver with a Pioneer DVC-503 $229 and then you still have $470 left over for a modest speaker package.

The speakers are an area where I am especially looking for input.

Thanks.

Ideas?

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Ashford, a very popular package on the forum is this:

JBL NSP-1 (5 speaker set $300 shipped)

Sony sub ($150 or so online)

Add the components you mentioned and you're in business!

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Another speaker recomendation would be the AR HC6 package
    that can be had off the net for much less than retail.
    $399.00 to $499.00 is the etail price spread. (And that comes
    with a powered sub)[​IMG]

6. Ashford Little

What about an Energy package. I can't remember the details but it retailed for $600? Heard good things about their speakers.

7. Rick RTM

Rick RTM Extra

For the smaller systems the energy 5.2 is a nice setup

8. Rick RTM

Rick RTM Extra

receivers: Denon 1801 or any of the lower denons and Harmon kardon's are nice 320's, DVD players people like the panasonics but i like the samsung w/ 2:3 PD and its only like $150. as for speakers, one word: Axeon

9. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I appologize. Being in Canada I would have to deal with CRAZY @ss taxes and a lot less options. Even at (approx) 1500 dollars Canadian I still couldn't do it all, including a sub.

But I still stand by my last statement. To me, a person will enjoy the system a lot more if that take their time and do proper upgrades. Start with two front speakers, then buy new mains and move the old ones to the rear. and so forth. Just an experienced suggestion.

10. Ashford Little

Ryan, I agree with you, but not everyone is really all that into audio or home theater. Also this guy is at a different stage than you meaning he is married with three kids and his wife would definitely have some unkind words if he spent large bucks on stereo equipment.Luckily my wife leaves me alone in this regard.

I am simply trying to give this guy a system that is very reasonable yet will allow him to move beyond his decade old stuff.

11. Ashford Little

bump

12. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Figuring $1K for the system:
    Kenwood VR-507 - $230
    Panasonic RV-31 - $180
    HTD Level Two - $499

13. Ashford Little

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Can I get some feedback on the best receiver for

14. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

How bout the Kenwood VR507 receiver for about $250, the dvd player for $229 that you like, a pair of HTD level 3 bookshelfs and the level 3 center for around $350, the sony sub everyone raves about for surely under $150 and a cheap pair of speakers or a pair of speakers he already has for his surrounds. That would get you under the $1000 mark.

15. Bob Schumann

Bob Schumann Extra

I don't think anyone else has mentioned it but everyone here is upgrading at one point or another and you often can pick up some great equipment second hand. When you're on a tight budget that sometimes is the best option to get the most for your buck. Check out the hardware for sale section here and the other HT forums frequently and when you see a good deal jump on it.

16. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

Get the Harman Kardon AVR 310 on UBid.com for under $350 shipped brand new, not used, the JBL NSP1, Sony WM40, and a Panny RV31. You are set for about $ 1000. I have all but the NSP1's.That is what I would buy with a thousand . IMHO

17. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered a whole HT system from Jandr.com and etronics.com . Both have exellent deals.JandR.com also has FREE shipping on JBL products right now.

I ordered from

JandR.com

JBL N26 - 140.00

JBL N24 - 100.00

JBL Ncenter- 110.00

Toshiba sd1700 dvd - 150.00

total - $502.00 shipped

Etronics.com

Kenwood VR-507- 229.00

Sony Sawm40 sub - 139.00

total- $400 shipped

Bestbuy

Monster Cable Home Theatre Kit -$100

Grand total= around $1010

I payed very little money ordering this from these 2 online stores and this was the best deal i could find for what i ordered. The cable at best buy is great for this set.

I live in PA and both stores are NY based. I chose UPS ground for both and ordered at 8am. I got the etroincs.com package the next day and the JANDR.com package in 3 days. Both were nicely boxed so i recommend either or will do.

This setup is a great entry level systemand i loveit better then my parents bose system and any on my friends stuff!!!