What's new

$1K for 5 speakers: need recommendations please (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'm slightly embarassed to admit that I need some advice. OK, a lot of advice.

I've already ordered the sub: SVS PB2-plus.

I've got about $1K for the rest of the speakers (5 pieces - L/R/C/Sur)

Been looking over Ascend 170/370 combo.

What else should I be looking at in this price range. Sure I know "names"; Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, etc. But I don't know "bang for the buck".

Speakers will pull double duty: 60% music/40% HT. Unless I have dinner guests or having a business meeting, I listen to everything loud, if that helps.

Will be powered by a Kenwood VR-409 rated at 100w x 5, so take that for what it's worth.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
ELT or a Polk setup from Circuit City. I know its CC but they are blowing them out at really good pricing.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
Michael:

The ELT sounds like a candidate. I'd definitely contact ACI as well as AV123. Since I found ACI 2 years ago, I have been extremely happy in all my dealings with them. They warranty the ELT for two years longer than AV123 who is also reported to offer excellent customer service!

george king

Supporting Actor
go to Link Removed and look at the M-1 monitor and C-1 center. For $1K you can get the C-1 and 2 pairs of the M-1.

Brian is a great guy, he will custom make you the speakers, and his craftsmanship is amazing. They will be better made than 99% of the commerical alternatives in the same price range, and you get to pick your finish.

Hope this helps.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You can get a package deal on the ELTs without the sub. I think that the center and four satellites will cost about $700.

Call and ask Sean or Steve.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thank you for the links and suggestions. Everyone's opinion is important. :)

I'll tell you this; picking out my next (and permanent!) sub was cake compared to picking out my next 5-piece speaker set!

I see your suggestions, break out the
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
and start surfing reviews and manufacturers' pages.

All the info makes my brain go
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
and then :crazy:
but in a good way. ;)

Keep it coming.

Craig

Second Unit
I'd be inclined to spend the $1000 on mains and a center, and wait on the surrounds (or buy some really cheap surrounds and upgrade later). You've got a really nice sub, I'd get the best quality speakers I could to match.

I had settled on Boston Acoustics, which were regular direct radiating speakers, until I heard a pair of Mirage OM10s which use both front and rear speakers (bipolar or dipolar). I'd advise listening to both types and see which you like best. I think Boston Acoustics and Mirage speakers get somewhat overlooked, they're both very good quality speakers, just take a different approach to producing sound.

GregAV

Agent
Wow, 60/40 music/HT at high volume and not 1 mention of JBL S series ?!?!

If you have the space - S38's for the mains, and S36/26 for your surrounds with a SCenterII should be perfect for your needs(5 year warrantee too)with a serious amount of change left.

Search the forum for JBL's S series - S38, S36, S26 and look for input from Phil Iturralde (dude really knows JBL).

Should be easy enough to audition them too - I think you'll like what you hear(at any volume).

Have fun,

Greg

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I own Ascends, and have the ELT mains right now as well. And I have heard the ELT center and sub.

As good as the ELT is in its price point, IMO you are not going to be able to best the accuracy and music reproduction of the CBM-170 with the ELT system. If you lean more towards music than HT. Between the two and given your scenario, IMO, the Ascends are the way to go. If you were more inclined to HT, then I would say you would have to do more justification for the increase in cost.

The ELT center is easily the best piece of the ELT system.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I'd choose the Ascends over the ELTs, but ELT is an option in this price range which is what your original question is.

Having said that, since I've owned or listened to such products you're considering, I would recommend the Odyssey Epiphony.

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/loudspeakers.html

While the webpage says $595, I know Klaus will let them go for a good amount LESS if you bundle a package. They are truly exceptional speakers at an exceptional price. They could easily go for 2x+ the price. They come in many colors as well.

They are made by Alain Courteau in Canada and voiced similarly to top-rated Symphonic gear.

This is perhaps the best monitor under $1000. Since it's a new line, reviews are coming out shortly. Early feedback from mags is that they are also throwing around "best monitor under $1000" quotes.

I'd give Klaus a call just for curiosity. He can explain better than any person. He won't B.S. you either. If he thinks Ascends will do you better for your system, he'll tell you that.

Klaus likes phone calls over emails. He's ALWAYS available as his only phone is his cell phone. (317) 299-5578.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=5041
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=10

............To me, they are worth the price over the Ascends. But if you're already hurting for cash, I'd take the Ascends. ........Since the back speakers of an HT system are really not "all that", I'd get the best fronts and center I could afford. The Odyssey would be a very decent package. Just my .02 cents! ;)

Ganesh

Agent
I had the Ascend 340 and the Epiphony at home at the same time. The Epiphonies definitely had much better bass than the 340 and their high's were comparable. But yes, the Epiphonies need much more power, I had to crank up the volume quite a bit more with them to get the same loudness as the 340's. If I were to choose between the Ascend 170's and the Epiphonies I would definitely take the 170's (assuming the 170's perform very close to the 340's as generally believed, I haven't heard the 170), 'cause I don't think the difference in sound is worth the price difference. But compared to the 340's I would pick with the Epiphonies, the Epiphonies produce a "bigger" sound though being smaller than the 340's in size.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Ganesh...

Epiphonies over the 340's even with the extra cost needed for amplification?

The 170's do not have the bass of the 340's. The 340's more dynamic and bigger soundstage.

Might have to ante up to hear a pair of Epiphonies.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I think the amplification issue is irrelevant with most gear.

Even weak amps/receivers can drive most speakers really loud to ear bleeding levels. I prefer excellent amps, though b/c they control the speaker better.

As Klaus of Odyssey is a no B.S.er, I'd again call him and say "Hey Klaus. Heard about these speakers. I have this receiver. Will it gel?"

I've had cheap Kenwood receivers in the past and drove many an expensive speaker just fine. Just my .02 cents.

Again call Klaus for any questions.

Ganesh

Agent

I don't look at it as extra cost, since with the Epiphonies all I had to do was crank up the volume to may be another 10dB (on my 2803 Denon) to get the same output. Unless you are already hitting the max on your receiver, this by itself shouldn't be a big problem.
The 340 L/R's with their matching stand IMO appear too big in size for the sound they produce, since they look much like tower speakers. The BA VR-1 floorstanders I bought are in fact a little shorter than the 340 with the stand and the VR-1's produce a LOT "bigger, deeper" sound. And for a price that's less than the 340+stands.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Wow, more choices! More reviews to read. :)

I will check out the Odysseys' too.

As I said in the CBM-170 thread I started (which is kinda a duplicate of this thread...absolutely not intentional on my part! :b) I won't be purchasing anything tomorrow, and can wait a few weeks to save some more money to possibly get something a little better.

Might just get the front three and surrounds later...unless someone is in a giving mood and cuts me a ridiculously good deal.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I say 2 pairs of Swans 2.1s and a C3 from www.theaudioinsider.com :) I don't know how they compare to the ELT, but i would guess they would be better compared to the Rocket 150s and 100 center. To come in under $1k you'd have to go w/ the black cherry finish instead of the rosewood, but this isn't necessarily a drawback depending on the look you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks