What's new

1ghz celeron vs. 1ghz pentium III (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm looking to upgrade the processor on my computer. i'll have to use the powerleap neo-s370 adaptor because my mobo isn't setup for fc-pga. i can only run the processor at 100mhz front side bus so as far as i can see the fastest i can get is a 1ghz for the money. i know they go up to 1.1 but that extra 100mhz isn't worth the premium imho. i've been eyeballing either the p3 or the celeron. the only difference i can tell is that the p3 has 256 l2 cache while the celeron has 128 l2 cache. is there that dramatic of a performance difference between the two to warrant the $70+ difference between them? i don't really do much that's cpu intensive save for image editting for websites. nothing 3d as of yet...just scan, crop, and code. i don't really play many games either though that could always change. any input would be appreciated. thanks.

kevin t

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I had a P3-1GHz at work before, and I have a C-1GHz at home.

The P3 is about 1.5 times faster than the Celeron when running Seti@Home, which basically is a bunch of math calculations.

For graphics, I can't do a good comparison, because I have built in graphics on the Celeron, but a separate 16MB nVidia on the P3. Still, I didn't notice much of a difference except when viewing movie trailers (pictures and webpages don't seem to load noticably slower on the Celeron).

I'm pretty sure that the Celeron will be fine for you, especially if you have a good graphics card.

/Mike

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure that there is a whole lot to be gained, simply by going to a faster processor. What are you running now?

Will that converter board drop the core voltage as required for the new Coppermine chip?

Will your BIOS set support the faster processor (many 100Mhz boards from a few years ago won't)?

For your apps, you may see better performance by adding more memory. How much do you have now? You could run it up to 512MB or so for about $50, and turn off virtual memory. That helps a lot.

BTW, check Pricewatch.com. You can get a Slot 1, 800Mhz PIII with 100Mhz FSB for $119.

Todd

Kevin T

Screenwriter
todd:

i'm running a celeron 400mhz right now. it's the ppga socket 370 chipset. there are jumpers on the board for switching between 66mhz fsb and 100mhz fsb. i have it maxed out with 256mb of ram. i have a 40gb 7200rpm western digital hard drive. powerleap makes a ppga to fc-pga convertor for $25.00. it's been tested up to a p3 800mhz however, i think if it can handle 800mhz, it should be able to handle 1ghz without any problem. i guess i'll see.

kevin t

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Whoops! I missed that 370 part.

Best of luck to you. Compare the cost with getting a new mobo/processor combo. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Todd

Kevin T

Screenwriter
from the looks of it, a new mobo with a celeron 1ghz processor would cost about $50 more than the processor itself. i guess i'm just being cheap because i really want to hang onto the case especially since i took it all a part and painted it to my preferences. it's an old hp pavilion 4535 case but now it looks almost exactly like those new dell computers (black and gray). of course, i didn't know dell computers looked like that until i received their catalog two days after i had painted everything and put it back together...doh!!!

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks