1997 b&w dm604

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveRana, Jan 5, 2003.

1. DaveRana

DaveRana Agent

Hello All,
    This is my first post on this forum; please bear with me if my audio etiquette is warped!
    There's somebody here who's selling a used b&w dm604 set of speakers for $450. These are not the S2 or the S3's but the earlier model I guess. Is that a good price, if the speakers are in good condition?
    I listen to music half the time, watch movies the other half, so it's important for me to get front speakers that will give me clear, undistorted sound with no hiss. Will these speakers do the job?
    I've yet to buy the amp/receiver so that's another post [​IMG]
    TIA

2. DaveRana

DaveRana Agent

anyone?!

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Those speakers sound great. I have the original DM602s and I love them.

4. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Check out www.audiogon.com they have a blue book that is available that lists prices for used equipment.
    Tom

5. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

That's probably a pretty fair price. I just picked up a set of DM603's S2 for $550 a pair, and I considered that a fair price. I don't think there's too much difference between the series, so for $450 and more of a speaker, I'd say that's a nice deal.

Aaron

6. DaveRana

DaveRana Agent

Maaan I'm so stoked!! I picked up the DM604s today and TWO 20-foot Monster cables with gold banana plugs - all for $380! The speakers look and sound pristine(in the sellers house, powered by a Yamaha amp). I also ordered an Outlaw 1050 Receiver today for $500! Can't wait to get started!
    [​IMG]
    PS: To access the 'blue book' on audiogon.com you need to register first, and pay a fee ($15 I think).

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Dave,

You're gonna be real happy when you get those suckers hooked up. Used and older gear is such a bargain, you get so much great sound for your money.

8. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Dave,
    Those are some sweet speakers.
    I have owned DM630's (1991) and they were beautiful (just replaced with N804s). I bought them off audiogon for $250 and picked them up at the guys house. I also have DM601s and they sound even better (minus a bit of bass) than the 630s (clarity and soundstage) so the 604s must be very nice.
    Used is a GREAT way to operate especially on a budget.
    Incidentally, www.orionbluebook.com gives good info at $3.99 a pop and volume discounts.
    Marc

9. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Another voice added to the "You will be very happy camp".

Got mine used in '98 for $750, would love to get another pair for the rears (although the spouse may have other thoughts!).

I run mine down to 80Hz and augment with an HSU 1225 sub. Very happy with that combo. I also have experimented with running the 604s full range with the sub still own. Adds a nice bit of definition to the bass, although a bit over powering on some music.

BGL

10. DaveRana

DaveRana Agent

Thanks for the general "thumbs up" guys! [​IMG] My receiver should arrive in 3-4 days and I already have a few inputs like 36-inch Sony TV, Digital DVD/CD player, and Optical cables etc...so I'm going to hook up the DM604s right away, then scavenge for a b&w center channel, then the rears(601s or 602s). After I listen to it for a while, I'll decide if I need a subwoofer (I'm big on bass so I'm quite sure I'll need one...any recommendations for a dude who's going through a serious El Cheapo phase?), then I'll see if my 65w/channel receiver is powerful enough to drive just the front L/Rs for stereo music. If not, I'll get a 2-channel, 150w amp to augment the receiver. All this in order...as and when the *need* arises :)
    BTW, the DM604s were purchased new on 01/12/98 for $1310 - the owner showed me the sales receipt.