What's new

1992's "The Bodyguard": NOT in Widescreen! Why? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anybody have The Bodyguard DVD (Whitney Houston/K. Costner)?

Noticed it's Standard, and NO widescreen.

Why do you suppose Warner Bros. didn't put the widescreen on this disc?? Seems weird, and idiotic!

Before I buy this one, can any of you give me your thoughts on this DVD release?

I noted it's a very, very early DVD release (August 22, 1997). Therefore, logically, it might be subpar when compared to the 2001 releases.

It has a 5.1 track .... is it top notch?

With 2002 being the 10th anniversary of the release date of "The Bodyguard", I wouldn't be surprised to find an "SE" popping up soon.

Thanks for any help.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I purchased this disc way back when it first came out. It's a real disappointment. The pq is pretty poor and audio is about average. I owned the laserdisc and it was far superior to the dvd, plus it was in widescreen. I can't figure out why they released it Pan N Scan. I'd re-buy this one in a hot second if it got the special treatment.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The Bodyguard was the first, last, and only P&S title I've owned. I bought it before I knew to check the aspect ratio. Needless to say I traded it in long ago. I would seriously consider getting an SE @ the right price.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
This is a neat movie. I can't imagine what WB is thinking letting it wallow around in P&S. It needs a rerelease in OAR 16:9.

Deane

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
It's one of those very early Warners DVDs which were released P&S in the R1 but in 16:9 widescreen everywhere else. I remember this, along with National Lampoon's Vacation, Private Benjamin and Caddyshack (later re-released in widescreen).

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I will be keeping my LD version since WB will not doubt let this one slide. On a related note, I find it interesting that so many people have sold all or most of their LD collections in anticipation of titles that have not appesred or have appeared in P & S editions. Apparently not a good move.

Sam_Nas

Grip
Hi. I'm new :)
I love this movie and it's a shame that it hasn't been released as a special edition in widescreen yet. I hope that with the upcoming Warner Bros chat, someone will ask about it. The movie grossed over 410 million dollars worldwide, it was a huge hit and deserves a great special edition.
I'll try asking the question in the chat, however since I'm new maybe I won't be picked, so hopefully someone else will ask. :)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
It's one of those very early Warners DVDs which were released P&S in the R1 but in 16:9 widescreen everywhere else. I remember this, along with National Lampoon's Vacation, Private Benjamin and Caddyshack (later re-released in widescreen).
Let's not forget Arthur, either. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And "Grumpy Old Men" to boot. :frowning:
Golly gee wiz .... a 02/04/2002 thread of mine re-surfacing. On my very first day
as an HTF member, too. :)
(I *did* end up buying that FF DVD. But still want the WS, of course.)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Fear not... within the next few months, Warner will announce The Bodyguard: Special Edition for Region 1, which is 16:9. I work in home video production here in Hollywood, and I happen to know it's being worked on as we speak. It will be out before the end of the year.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic Brian! Thanks! :)
Are we looking at a fancy 2-Disc SE from WB on Bodyguard?? (Even if not a two-discer, I imagine we're gonna see some Whitney Houston music videos included.)
And, say, since you seem to be "in the WB know" .... how about a new anamorphic, souped-up SE of "The American President"?? Any word on a re-release for that fine hunk o' film? I'd really love to see the 2-Disc SE WB treatment for that one.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Are we looking at a fancy 2-Disc SE from WB on Bodyguard??
I unfortunately have no idea since, without getting too specific, I'm more towards the video transfer end of things than the final product end of things.

You know, "The American President" sounds familiar -- meaning, I THINK I recall it coming through here several months ago, but don't quote me on that, because I don't remember for sure. But it does ring a bell... but it could be a false bell.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Weird, I was thinking of posting a question about this movie yesterday after we watched out VHS (gasp!) version of it. Well, here's my answer!

Glad to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks