What's new

1984 - No Eurythmics music (1 Viewer)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
The new DVD of 1984 is a surprise in a couple of ways.

One, the picture looks great. It's anamorphic and the print is very clear and free of obvious defects. I was used to my old Japanese LaserDisc which was muddy and dull compared to this. That LD also digitally blurred out the female nudity, so it was nice to see that the new DVD didn't include any censorship of this type.

Unfortunately, the brief use of some of the original Eurythmics music ("Julia" and "I Did It Just The Same") are not included in this version. It's my recollection that this happened with the film's original release, that there were two different versions: one using some of the Eurythmics' score was used (as on the Japanese LD), and one going entirely with the orchestral score (as on the new DVD). I tried to look it up on imdb.com but they didn't seem to have any info on this. Can anyone contribute?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm very happy to be corrected on this point, but I *think* the Eurythmics music was not planned by the director and was tagged on afterwards without premission. I seem to recall there was a bit of a fuss about it in the UK press at the time.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
So the Eurythmics song "1984" is not on the DVD? When I saw this in the theater, this played on a black screen before the opening credits. I love this song, it would have been nice to have it on the DVD as an extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks