1982 E.T. DTS from Universal arrived today!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grant H, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

I couldn't dig out the old thread with the search for the last few hours and figured the new thread would grab attention better anyway:

I'm an E.T. Ultimate Gift Set owner who was disappointed not to get the 1982 cut in DTS (when the much cheaper 2-disc set had it in DTS), and after an email and a fax to Univeral, I at long last have the disc.
    UPS delivered it today in an oversize slightly beat-up(typical UPS) box with the Universal logo on it.
    But low and behold if inside with some plain-paper packing material was a black keep case (snaps shut, but also had little clasps which I'd never seen before, and didn't see until after I forced it open; amazingly they didn't break off.)

I presume the disc is the Disc 2 of the regular 2-disc Collector's edition, though I've never seen it. The disc art has Spielberg and E.T. on it. I haven't yet had a chance to pop it in my player, but it says it is the 1982 feature, and definitely isn't the one from my UGS. It also mentions the other bonus features, so it must be the one from the 2-disc set. Looks like they got ir right. (some folks apparently got the 2002 DTS cut they arleady had)

I must say I'm very pleased Universal delivered as promised something they never really had to. It was obviously an unfortunate occurence when the '82 cut was added to the region 1 2-discer that it got DTS and the UGS that planned to have the '82 cut all along didn't. Instead it had DD EX in multiple languages trying to appease a broader audience. It's nice that they let UGS owners have the DTS track too even it took some waiting. It bodes well for my Back to the Future returns. (I still have to call to get my pre-paid mailer)

I was a little surprised to get such a big package for one little disc, but it's really nice they included a case for it. Maybe I'll download some cover art somewhere and stick it next to the silver foil DVD case for the UGS on my shelf.

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Ok I've got the UGS for ET how did you go about getting the 82 version in DTS because I'd be very interested in this as well I was disspointed to find out I spent a pretty penny on the UGS and the 2nd disc was not in DTS.

3. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Plug into "e.t. AND official" into the search in the software section and you'll find all info (or you'll be able to when it's not so busy here.) It's near the end of the old "The Official E.T. DVD Discussion thread 2 disc set includes original theatrical cut" or something like that thread.

All you really need to do though is go to Universal's website and contact them with an email to the Home Video department explaining your disappointment, and that you would like the '82 cut in DTS. (Be polite of course, since I don't believe they're in any means obligated to provide it since press releases indicated the '82 cut would be DD 2.0 if I recall)
    You should (eventually) get an email telling you to fax your UGS receipt and address to them to get a copy of the '82 in DTS. This is one of those cases it pays to have purchased online since a lot of folks might not have their receipts anymore. I just went to my etailer and printed off a new one. You might also pass with an emailed order confirmation, or better yet, a shipping confirmation.
    Good luck!! I hope they'll still do this for UGS owners.

5. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Yeah, I remember the old VHS boxes you could buy that had tabs like that, of course much bigger.
    I wasn't wearing my glasses so I didn't see them at all when I was struggling to open the box.
    Some cases don't snap shut really well, though, so maybe the little clasps aren't so bad. Just so long as you remember they're there.

6. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm, I'm a little confused. I got the regular 2 disc set for my wife for Christmas and I thought that on the back it said the 1982 cut DID NOT have DTS but that the 2002 cut DID have DTS. (I haven't even put these discs in yet - the family as a whole got at least a dozen DVDs so we haven't gotten through all of them yet.)

Did I read that wrong?
    Or did I get an old/weird copy or something?

I'll have to check that again tonight and put the discs in the player to see what sound options there really are on each disc.

Rob

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Well shoot I'm screwed then unless my packrat wife put the reciept somwhere I doubt I have it anymore[​IMG] hmmmmmm well I'll have to look.

8. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Due to the last-minute changes with the R1 set, the info on the back of the box is just plain WRONG.
    The set has things it doesn't claim to have (the DTS ES matrix) on the '82 cut, and is missing other extras that had to be cut to make space for the '82 cut.

The menus for both versions should give you the DTS option (note that I don't believe they point out it's ES matrix but it is, if you have the gear. I don't think it's flagged either so, you'll have to switch it manually on your receiver)

If you don't have your receipt anymore, tell Universal in your email. Maybe they'd settle for a Proof of Purchase tab somewhere.

9. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I myself got the UGS at Christmas but i havent even taken the 82 cut out of the box yet. Have looked at the other 2 discs though..............oh Jesus thats right the soundtrack CD is on it as well! Was looking for something to listen to while i surf the web......

Anyway (sorry, forgot about the soundtrack CD). Tghought the DTS on the 2002 cut was excellent but I havent had the chance to compare it with the DD5.1 track. Dont think i'll send off the 82 cut with the DTS track though. Have ET on w/s VHS, LD and now the UGS so I think that i'm pretty well set up as far as ET goes. Anyway for "real" purests the LD contains the original 82 soundtrack in all it's glory in pro-logic anyway.

Must go and get that CD now for a listen[​IMG]

10. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I recently got the E.T. Ultimate Gift set and I was surprised to see that it DID have the DTS track. I was already planning on ALSO buying the regular WS 2-disc edition (for DTS) but now I don't have to. However, I'm curious, did I lose any special features by having the DTS disc? What does the UGS movie disc have that the DTS disc doesn't have?

11. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Grant

I got my copy last Friday and have been meaning to post it in that other thread. Same type of case too with little "latch hooks"--I thought it was kinda cool. It is the 82 version and it does have DTS. Universal really came through for me.

Hopefully I can watch it this weekend.

12. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

So, are the extras the same for the 1982 Dolby Digital disc as the 1982 dts disc?

Is it a straight replacement? Or do you need to hang onto both now?

Anybody compared the soundtracks yet?

13. Daniel P

I tried to search, but can someone please post the e-mail address you contacted Universal at?

14. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Daniel,

I just went to www.universalstudios.com.
    Click on "Movies" and Home Video/DVD. Then, you'll find a "Contact Us" link.
    It was one of those form emails, not a straight email address. It should direct it to the Universal Home Video department.

Hope that helps.

I don't have the 2 disc set, but I'm pretty sure it's disc 2 from that set, and should have whatever extras that disc had which wouldn't be much due to the inlcusion of the '82 cut. Yes, they sacrificed some extras on the 2-disc set to provide the '82 edition in that set instead of just the 2002 version.
    I don't think there are any extras exclusive to the 2-disc set if that's what you're looking for. Seems to me the 2 discs set included a condensed version of one of the documentaries on the UGS. I don't know how they laid the stuff out. Universal has an ugly habit of stretching documentaries over multiple discs in the sets. They did this with Back to the Future, so they may have done it with one or both ET sets. Economical I suppose, but not ideal. It's funny how many things they do to save money, and then something goes awry and they have to spend a bunch making up for their mistakes.

15. Daniel P

Wow thanks Grant...I just sent my e-mail.

I hope the offer's still available...

16. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Funny thing. Since they messed up and sent me the 2002 version of the 2 disc set the first time, I now have the the UGS and the 2 disc set.

Taheheheh

17. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

Howdy,

I sent Universal off an email regarding the lack of DTS on the 82 cut from the UGS. They then replied back and asked me to fax my receipt into them and they would replace it.

Thing is: I didnt keep the receipt....[​IMG] Would anyone be nice enough to scan me a copy of their receipt and email to me??? If you could, I will love you forever!!:b

Thanks,
    Ben

18. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I finally decided to pick up the Ultimate Gift Set for myself this weekend, since I was able to get it for $40. I had previously purchased a set for my sister for Christmas.

I just sent an email to Universal requesting info on obtaining the 1982 cut with a DTS track for both copies I have (even though I no longer have the receipt for my sister's copy).

Has it been definitely confirmed that the replacement disc Universal is sending out is indeed just the second disc from the two disc set and not a newly pressed replacement?

Is there any difference in picture quality between disc two of the two disc set and disc two of the gift set? I would assume there would be due to all the extras involved with the second disc of the two disc set due to higher compression.

Regardless, I would like to have a DTS track.

19. BruceLongee

BruceLongee Agent

I just got my response from Universal on the 13th, asking me to fax a copy of my receipt. They say I should get the new disc in 4 to 6 weeks.