What's new

1975 Tom & Jerry Back On The Air (1 Viewer)

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Cartoon Network has re-added the 1975 Hanna-Barbera New Tom & Jerry TV cartoons (my personal favorite) to their daily rotation of T&J shorts.

I just found this out today! I flipped on CN to view T&J, saw "Two Stars Are Born"...and immediately pushed the record button on my VCR and taped the very last half hour of it!

So set your dial for a while! Catch them every Monday-Friday on CN @ noon EDT!

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to stop to say thank you for posting this.
It's been at least 20 years since I last had seen any of these.
I was surprised at the reaction to your post over at the toonzone forum -- I love all the different eras of Tom & Jerry (well, at least up through and including the 1975 episodes. I haven't really seen any Tom & Jerry-related material made after that -- did see parts of the Magic Ring movie and didn't care for the feel/look of it). It's like trying to compare apples and oranges and decide which one's better.
Unfortunately, I missed out on recording Monday's and Tuesday's episodes but managed to set the dvd recorder to record today's episodes.
I checked the cartoon network's website and saw that episodes 37-42 are scheduled for tomorrow Thursday May 26th.
But, to my great disappointment, according to their website there aren't any more episodes from this period scheduled for Friday through next Tuesday.
I'm glad to have recorded today's episodes (and plan to record tomorrow's), but I hope I'm not going to have to wait for a very long time to record the remaining episodes.
By way of http://www.tomandjerryonline.com , I found your website http://1975tomjerry.50megs.com/ .
You've done a terrific job! It was a lot of fun re-visiting the past.
(Since I have a chance to address you here, I hope it's okay if I mention a link that wasn't working today. Under the "Table of Contents" section, when I clicked on "THE NEW TOM & JERRY SHOW EPISODE INDEX" http://1975tomjerry2.50megs.com/tj75episodes.htm , I received an "404 Error - File Not Found" message.)

Take care,
Matthew

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What the heck was the deal with this? In the original cartoons they were chasing each other, then in the new ones they suddenly became friends! KTVU used to run the old cartoons and the new ones at the same time. Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they make Itchy and Scratchy non-violent after complaints.

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Thanks for the kind words, Matt...and for the warning! I'm fixing this problem as I type this.

And Jesse, the reason for T&J being buddies most of the time on the new show was that Broadcast Standards And Practices at ABC-TV (which aired New Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape on its Saturday Morning schedule in 1975-76) had long since ruled out violence during kiddie hour on Saturday Mornings.

Not every New Tom & Jerry cartoon featured them buddy-buddy, however; there are 4 of the "sports-themed" episodes: #80-08, "The Wacky World Of Sports", #80-11, "The Super Bowler," #80-13, "The Tennis Menace," and #80-25, "The Super Cyclists," which pictured Tom as a dirty-tricks competitor always willing to stop at nothing to trounce Jerry in any form of sports competition. Many diehard classic T&J fans deem these to be the only saving grace of the '70s series, the ones which revived the thrill of the chase in the MGM T&J shorts of yore. T&J were also pitted against one another in "The Ski Bunny" (80-02), "No Way, Stowaways" (80-03) and "An Ill Wind" (80-05).

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Set your dial for a while...again!

Cartoon Network now has Tom & Jerry on the weekends, every Saturday and Sunday @ 7 A.M. (EDT), in a half-hour rotation. And the 1975 Hanna-Barbera New T&J TV cartoons are scheduled to run this weekend!

"Stay Awake Or Else..." (80-01), "An Ill Wind" (80-05) and "No Bones About It" (80-04) will air Saturday, June 25. And "No Way, Stowaways" (80-03), "The Ski Bunny" (80-02) and "Beach Bully" (80-06) will broadcast on Sunday, June 26.

And a final word to those of you diehard devotees of Hanna-Barbera's classic MGM Tom & Jerry theatricals from 1940-58 who decree any version out of the realm of this scope as inferior, and plan to raise a big stink should CN or Boomerang ever decide to put the 1975 H-B New T&J made-for-TV shorts back on the air: just remember 2 important things:
  • Your TV set has an "Off" button and a remote control!
  • You don't have to watch the 1975 H-B New T&J cartoons if any hint of their probable return to cable and satellite (and/or release on DVD!) makes you squirm!

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Hello.

I am resurrecting this thread because there is an issue I'd like to open concerning the 1975 H-B Tom & Jerry shows. They're currently not on right now, but I noticed that, from all the VHS recordings I made of them over the past few years from Cartoon Network and Boomerang (when they did air them!), of the 48 7-minute T&J cartoons made for TV in 1975, there are certain ones which haven't aired! Here is a list of them:

"Gopher Broke" (80-09)
"Cosmic Cat And Meteor Mouse" (80-15)
"The Flying Sorceress"* (80-19)
"Termites Plus Two" (80-21)
"The Egg And Tom And Jerry" (80-34)
"Watch Out, Watch Dog" (80-12)
"Triple Trouble" (80-36)
"Cruise Kitty" (80-46)

*Not to be confused with the 1956 MGM T&J cartoon of the same name.

A flagrant case of rerun abuse, maybe? It's not bad enough that they're rerunning the theatricals to death and back...

They did, however, air in full force on Canada's Teletoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks