1972 MGB....oh yes...it's RED!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Gale, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

The girlfriend is on the verge of buying a 1972 MGB.
    I'm pretty sure this is a really bad idea but I need some documentation to back me up.
    Obviously it's 34 years old. We're not mechanics, or rich.
    You'd think that would be enough good reasons but she is remarkably..uh...stubborn.
    "It's RED!"
    I love the idea of her getting a little roadster, just not this one. My previous mate had an MGB 20 some years ago. My main memory of it is it sitting dead by various roadways.
    Help, please.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Find her a red Miata.

3. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

What Steve said. MGB's in their time were great cars to drive. Stuck to the road like glue. They were hobby cars though even back then. You certainly don't want one now.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    A 1972 MGB is actually one of the better years of the marque, as are most of them before the terrible "rubber bumper" smogged cars of 1974 onwards. You WILL become a mechanic if you own one. Parts are still available from places like Moss in Santa Barbara www.mossmotors.com and Victoria British in Saint Louis www.victoriabritish.com .

Mazda has sold over 700,000 Miatas for the reason that they are all the fun of the old British sportscars with the ease of ownership of a Honda Civic. I'm on my second one now. The only reason I sold off my 1992 Miata is that the 2004 was a much better platform to turbocharge.

A Miata with 150,000 miles on it will be a MUCH more reliable car than a carefully restored MGB. Try a 1.6l car from 1992-93 or an early 1.8l car from 1994-95. These should be available for about $3-4K for a low miles decent car. See http://forum.miata.net/vb/ .

I've previously owned a 1954 Austin-Healey 100-4, a 1959 AH Bugeye Sprite, and other British cars so I know from where I speak.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If you don't want to invest, and invest heavily in the car over a period of time, then don't buy it. While a cute car in its time, it was always easy to spot the MG owner by the oil puddles on the ground. This was not a vehicle that was built to any great degree of engineering accuracy. I second the Miata recommendation and even the Honda del Sol is nice.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Thirdly on the Miata. An MG requires a person who is handy with all aspects of the car or else it requires a very close relationship between your wallet and your mechanic. A Miata just requires keys, gas and the occasional wash and wax.

7. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Not sure about the later model MG's, but my TD also required that you have three different type of wrenches....British Standard, Wentworth and Metric....and if it's been worked on in the US over the years you'll probably need American sizes as well.

Join the Auto Club.

Mort

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I also recommend buying a red Miata... or a Honda s2000. Or go all-out and buy a motorcycle. You know you want it.

9. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

I have owned both an MG (1953 TD) and a Miata (1990). Both are fun to drive, but unless your girlfreind owns the repair manual, is handy with a wrench, and has a lot of spare money for spare parts, you must talk her out of the MG. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone who has recommended buying a Miata.

A Miata is a car; an MG is a hobby.

Tom Fynan

10. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Wentworth?

11. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

The Car Talk guys discuss this often and always recommend a Miata over an MGB or similar era roadster.

Buy a Miata, it does everything the MGB does except leak oil!

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

And have horrendous wiring, and rust like a cast iron fry pan left in the rain, and have hard to find parts and be basically as reliable as any old British sports car (which is pretty unreliable).

14. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

An MGB looks best sitting in the driveway, covering up the oil stain on the concrete.

But what is the deal with red? The best color for an MG is green (with a tan interior).

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I bought a 1967 MG Midget many years ago, tore the entire car down to nothing and then completely rebuilt it.

Two major things to watch out for, if it has duel side-draft carburetors, a major PITA to keep tuned and Lucas (no not the George one), the electrical system of the car, not good.

16. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Yeah, there's a cocaine habit, chronic gambling and owning an MGB or Fiat. These three things will suck you dry and could just ruin your life.

17. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Ah, Lucas.....the prince of darkness

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Yeah, and my MINI, guess what electrical system is in it? I'll give you one guess, just one.

19. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I don't know guys, if it came down to a choice between letting the girlfriend buy what she wants, or talking her out of it and then getting the silent treatment (No, nothing's wrong. *Sigh*) for 6 months, I'd buy the MG and a super sized bag of cat litter.

Better no working car than no working nooky. [​IMG]

20. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Of course, if she wants something a little less common than a miata but less of a problem of an MG (and she can drive a 6spd), you can look for an MR2 Spyder....

Just thought I'd chime in...

Jay