1967 Spider-Man cartoons in June

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Anthony Neilson, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    From www.dvdtimes.org

Spider-Man: The '67 Classic Collection - Available on DVD for the first time ever, Spidey's classic 1967 animated adventures are brought together in this six-disc set that will arrive on 29th June 2004 with a $59.99 SRP. All 52 episodes from the original 1967 TV series have been fully restored and offer us non-stop action and excitement as Spidey takes on his biggest foes, including Dr. Octopus, The Green Goblin, Mysterio, The Rhino, The Kingpin, Dr. Magneto, and many more!

Spider-Man Vs. Doc Ock - Arriving on 29th June 2004 with a $19.99 SRP this release sees the Spider-Man legend continue as he takes on the powerful Doctor Octopus and a host of his most famous foes in this thrilling animated adventure. Bonus features include a classic 1967 bonus episode featuring Doc Ock; episode introductions by legendary comic book creator Stan Lee; Stan Lee’s Soapbox; sneak peek into the upcoming animated “Spider-Man: The Venom Saga;” and cool animated menus.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    wow great news. something i've been hoping for, for years.

i'm surprised there have been no replies to this yet.

maybe not enough folks are looking in the new area yet.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

We posted about that earlier today as well. Now I can't get the theme out of my head!

Gord

4. Aaron Handy III

Aaron Handy III Stunt Coordinator

Magnificent!

I remember first seeing 1960s Spider-Man repeats in the late 1970s every afternoon after school on WWL-TV Channel 4, my local CBS affiliate here in New Orleans; once you've been bitten by that bug, you're hooked for life (just like Peter Parker!). It's wonderful to hear they're seeing release on DVD. It's even better to hear that they'll be fully restored, too; we needed a break from years of viewing scratchy, blurred 16mm prints of the episodes. I believe they deserve better than that.

By the way, this is my first post in this board. Great to be here! [​IMG]

5. Gord Lacey

Welcome to the forum Aaron!

Gord

6. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Sorry, Gord, if I duplicated your post. I ran a search and couldn't find this news mentioned anywhere. Or do you mean on your site ?

7. Gord Lacey

It was posted to TVShowsOnDVD.com earlier today (Dave posted it before I woke up), that's what I meant.

Gord

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've never seen the original '67 series, but I watched the '94 series when I was younger. Would it be worth a blind buy?

BTW, I've also been liking the recent MTV series. Any idea when season 2 of that is going to start up?

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    it is very different from the 90's series.
    90's had much better animation, and the stories were long and well played out.
    many right from the actual comic.

the 60's series had very limited animation.
    but the artwork and the jazz theme music was as good as anything you will see and hear in a cartoon.
    if you are a fan of comics and spider-man you owe it to your self to get the origional series.
    i believe ralph bakshi was one of the animaters on this show,although i don't see his name under the credits on the old tape i have that was released on vhs many years ago.

i thought i saw that the mtv show was not renewed.

10. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

YES!!!! [​IMG]

And from the comparisons I've seen, the restored versions look amazing. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now we just need a (hello columbia, are you listening?) better presentation of Spidey 2 on DVD (and a Superbit/remastering of the first wouldn't hurt), plus season sets (no more compilations BV) of the 1990's series and this year will be the year of the Spider. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chris

11. Paul Pro

Paul Pro Stunt Coordinator

A few months ago there was talk about the music being "renovated" possiblly meaning they will change/alter the original soundtrack.

Can anyone confirm that the music on these new DVDs will be the original and UNCHANGED.

It would realy tick me off if they changed the music.
    The whole charm of the show would be gone.

I can live with them adding some new sound effects but PLEASE leave the show's soundtrack ALONE.

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Really? I didn't read that anywhere, but it's certainly possible. Sucks if it's true...the season had a strong end.

13. John KB

John KB Second Unit

I'm sure I'll buy this set since i liked the show so much as a kid, but I have to admit, the last time I saw an episode on tv my first reaction was..."boy, I don't rememeber this being so bad!"

14. Beast

Beast Second Unit

The MTV show has been renewed, last I heard. But would no longer air on MTV. So it's likely that WB or Cartoon Network would be the ones showing Season 2. This does raise questions though, since Buena Vista is releasing this. Could Season sets of the 90's Spidey and X-Men toons be far behind? [​IMG]

15. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I grew up watching this show everyday after school too. I can't wait to check them out again... Spiderman remains my favorite of the superheroes. [​IMG]

16. Rodney

Rodney Supporting Actor
    Supporter

I remember a thread quite a while ago about BVIT announcing it was restoring the 1960's cartoon series. All fifty two half hour episodes of the show were to be re-mastered in a high definition format and the sound track would be renovated, with new music and effects.

I cannot find the thread via search, but I remember seeing a comparison shot, showing the restoration. Anyone have a link to that comparison?

Restoration is one thing, and "enhancing" it is quite another. I am worried that they changed it a lot with new music and effects. The cheesiness is one of the things I liked about the 60's series, especially the cheap overuse of the same animation, such as the rhino running left to right (or was it right to left?). Hilarious!

-Rodney

17. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

This is amazing news.

All we need now is Batman Animated sets...

I've just picked up the MTV Spiderman series... is there any more going to be made?

18. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'll definitely pick this set up, but with one condition - the music can't be "messed" with. Cleaning it up is one thing, changing it is another. The first is great, the second is unnacceptable!

Gary "I can't believe they'd do that" OS

19. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston

He was the art director. His credits are there.

I've been waiting for this for years as I heard they were remastering the series. I even saw the before and after shots and they looked good. I didn't hear anything about them redoing the music. Let's hope not as that is one of the best aspects of the show.

I'll be buying this one.

20. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

The music drops made that show, just as LeRoy Shields' music made the Hal Roach theatrical shorts (Laurel & Hardy, Little Rascals).

Gawd, don't change a thing!