What's new

1966 Batman DVD Coming! See Post 649 (1 Viewer)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The BluRay is too expensive, perhaps region-locked"I doubt it, since it's from WB. Or is this some kind of WB&Fox release?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
WB got the cover to first season wrong, which is not surprising at all. The used The Riddler from season 3 and not 1.

Batman66_S1_DVD_f.jpg

frank_gorshin_riddler1.jpg

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
They didn't get it wrong. The picture on the cover is from the S1 episode where Riddler does the silent movie thing.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Jack P said:
They didn't get it wrong. The picture on the cover is from the S1 episode where Riddler does the silent movie thing.
It is wrong, because the first two seasons and the movie, he wears the skin tight one piece, it was in the third season that Frank wanted to costume changed, that and more money, which is why John Astin took over in season 2.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sorry, but you evidently haven't been watching these episodes carefully to make a totally wrong comment like that. Gorshin wore the suit as early as the pilot and he also wore it in other S1 episodes (including the one from S1 that the picture is from "Death In Slow Motion" where Riddler uses pies with "whipped sleeping cream" to rob a bakery) as well as the movie. His absence in S2 had nothing to do with being foced to just wear the one costume (though everything to do with money)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
darkrock17 said:
It is wrong, because the first two seasons and the movie, he wears the skin tight one piece, it was in the third season that Frank wanted to costume changed, that and more money, which is why John Astin took over in season 2.
He wore that same green suit in the pilot episode for the TV series. The picture is from Season 1. He is wearing the green suit when he gives Batman the lawsuit in the first episode HI DIDDLE RIDDLE.
Riddler_(Batman_1966_TV_Series)_001.jpg

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
sandijorgens1 said:
NO, it is not understandable, it is PATHETIC people were too ignorant to forward think about hoem viewing (heck eveb back then, tapes were circulated between tv stations for shows,) SO ANY exec back then who had 1 active brain cell could have surmised, heck maybe people at home 1 day may watch this, so lets keep it
I guess Gene Roddenberry was brain-dead, too, because he not only didn't save the cut scenes/unused takes, he actually backed up a truck to the Desilu vault one Sunday afternoon in the late '60s and he and Majel took all the unused footage (without permission), then got out the 'ol scissors and cut up the films so that they could sell little "film clip" packets to fans through the mail!

As someone else said, people just didn't think this way in the '60s or way up into the '70s. Heck, many networks/TV stations not only junked the deleted footage, but wiped/destroyed their only copies of things! I'm sure you're aware of all the missing British TV from the '60s and early '70s (not just Doctor Who). Even the first Super Bowl broadcast--which was aired simultaneously on two networks--was destroyed by both networks!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
AndyMcKinney said:
Even the first Super Bowl broadcast--which was aired simultaneously on two networks--was destroyed by both networks!
Does the NFL have the master tapes or is the first game just completely gone?

I know what you mean, how shows got wiped, but at least Doctor Who keeps surprising us with those missing episodes being found now.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
AndyMcKinney said:
I guess Gene Roddenberry was brain-dead, too, because he not only didn't save the cut scenes/unused takes, he actually backed up a truck to the Desilu vault one Sunday afternoon in the late '60s and he and Majel took all the unused footage (without permission), then got out the 'ol scissors and cut up the films so that they could sell little "film clip" packets to fans through the mail!
And I was one who had one of those little clips. I wonder what ever happened to it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I've been looking at the list of episodes from season one provided in the link above. All of these years, I've been wrong about the order that the villains initially appeared in the series. I had always thought it was The Riddler, The Penguin, The Joker, and The Catwoman.

I see Mr. Freeze (at least I think) made an earlier appearance in the series than I had originally thought as well. And I always had The Mad Hatter fifth. It's a good thing I don't rely on my memory! Does anyone know the episode in which The Catwoman made her first appearance? Was it The Purr-fect Crime? Thanks in advance.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Earlier today, Joel Eisner, author of the Official Batman Batbook, posted this on Facebook, to the Batman 1966 TV Show group. It explains a little bit of the studio's thinking and suggests that other extras could be attached to future (re-)releases - either that, or the studio contact was blowing smoke at Eisner (which is possible):

Batman TV Series on DVD.
As most of you know but for those who don't I am the author of the Official Batman Batbook. The only recognized and authorized book on the 1966 Batman tv series and movie. I am known worldwide as an authority on the show, so it has been quite surprising that I was not contacted by Warners Home Video concerning the release of the series. How many other authors were asked to do commentary or write notes for other series releases, so why not me? Now, don't misunderstand my intention here. I personally don't care one way or the other if I was asked or not. I have no financial or egotistical reason to care. In fact, advanced publicity has increased the sales of the Batbook (ever so slightly) and I am sure it will increase when the set is released,
It just puzzled me as to why no one even asked. So, I decided to find out why? Just trying to find out who was in charge took a bit doing but I was finally given the email address of the man in charge (who I will not mention here) and here is his reply.
Thank you for your note, and for your interest in our release of the BATMAN ¹66 TV series. I¹ve consulted with my team that is producing the special features, and they are indeed very aware of your book. Our approach to this release is a bit different ‹ since there are many previously produced documentaries that delve into the production history, our release is focused on new interviews with Adam West. Adam has been very generous with his time, and has also opened up his collection for us to use. We¹ve been working very closely with him and his agent to develop this content.
At this point, we have nearly completed the content, and it is in it¹s finishing stage. We can¹t add anything at this point. However, I¹m sure there will be opportunities in the future with possibly re-releases, and we will be looking for additional ideas and material. We can certainly revisit then.
So, it seems that the focus of the dvds will be on Adam West and his involvement in the series and not on the series itself. So don't expect massive overall coverage of the show at least not anytime soon. Maybe on one of their future re-releases.
As an added note, the man in charge is not in involved with the publicity of the set.but has forwarded my emails to the publicity dept as I pointed out that recently , I have been invited to appearance on a number of media related programs (both live and taped) around the release date in November. to discuss the dvds. and not being involved in anyway with the dvds might cause a problem for them when I make my appearances.
Again, I would have made no money from my involvement with the dvds, they usually just give the interviewees, a copy of the finished product. I personally have no interested in buying the boxed set, at least not at the prices they are offering for. We don't even know if they restored the Batman in color logos, the promo clips to the next weeks villains, because we don't know if Fox ever kept them, so to buy a set to just to put money in Adam's pocket is not for me.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The short answer here is that they were blowing smoke at Eisner. That was a polite way of telling him to go away.
But it does clarify that the extras involved in this release are more about Adam West than they are about an overall look at the series itself.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've been reading and while the bonus features isn't what I will be buying the set for, I am a little disappointed in the list that has been released so far. I would have liked just one or two comprehensive 'making of' documentaries on the series itself and all of the vintage stuff that they could cram onto the set. Also, lots of audio commentaries for several of the episodes with as many of the surviving cast as possible. Outside of that, I am just interested in the episodes themselves. I won't be getting the Blu-ray set because I don't need, as Ron put it, a box of junk. I will probably be getting the DVD complete series set. I'm not wild about the cover art, but I can live with it.

I still think the season 1 cover art looks the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks