What's new

1960s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
John Wayne fans must have come out in droves over the weekend. The Undefeated hasn't been anywhere near the top since the voting started until today.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Garysb said:
Where is the love for "Two for the Road"? This film has fallen from 1st to 4th with now only 10% of the vote.
Lately, I've been giving Two For The Road props too. The other one I've been pumping a bit is Can-Can, just because of its neglected Todd-AO. And as much as I'd like to see Agony and the Ecstasy, I just can't bring myself to waste the vote - hasn't Fox already announced this title for 2014? FWIW, I also voted for Morituri a couple of times on the crazed theory that you can just never have enough method-acted sub movies... :crazy:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I vote consistently - and unsuccessfully - for Can Can. I've been suggesting The Sweet Ride, Crack In The Mirror and The Big Gamble. Tomorrow I'm going to nominate Lisa (aka The Inspector) Does anyone know when the voting ends?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
ROclockCK said:
And as much as I'd like to see Agony and the Ecstasy, I just can't bring myself to waste the vote - hasn't Fox already announced this title for 2014?
Agony and Ecstasy is currently available as part of Amazon Prime in HD . While streaming is not blu ray , it looks great . Since I've seen this I'd rather something I haven't seen it HD be released. I hope Fox gives the actual vote tallies for each film when this is over. I thought the voting would be finished by now.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Originally Posted by MattH.
John Wayne fans must have come out in droves over the weekend. The Undefeated hasn't been anywhere near the top since the voting started until today.
yeah I wonder if there's some sort of john wayne forum pimping links to stuff the ballot box. ;)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Agony and the Ecstasy does look great in HD on Amazon Prime. However, all my votes, every day, have been for Two for the Road, a movie that rewards you with its manifold riches upon each viewing. Plus, I'd rather spend two hours in the dark with Audrey Hepburn... or maybe even Albert Finney, what can I say. "Bitch." "Bastard." Unforgettable exchange, for those who have seen this glorious movie. And that includes my wife, my three children and many friends with whom we have shared this film.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
ROclockCK said:
Lately, I've been giving Two For The Road props too. The other one I've been pumping a bit is Can-Can, just because of its neglected Todd-AO. And as much as I'd like to see Agony and the Ecstasy, I just can't bring myself to waste the vote - hasn't Fox already announced this title for 2014? FWIW, I also voted for Morituri a couple of times on the crazed theory that you can just never have enough method-acted sub movies... :crazy:
"Agony" was anounced in August, but Fox may have changed their mind by this point.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
"No, Ruthie, no." Two for the Road makes me laugh and cry every time I watch it. It's such a marvelous showcase for the two stars and has wonderfully memorable parts for supporting folks like William Daniels.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yes, Williams Daniels and his mate, Eleanor Bron, equally unforgettable as Dudley Moore's interest in that other jewel of a movie, Bedazzled. And I will never forget my first glimpse of Jacqueline Bissett. This movie taught me so much at age 17 about editing, writing, acting, scoring of a movie, love, pain and the whole damned thing. I laugh and cry every time I see it at every stage of my life: first as a teenager; then as a young married man; a parent; in the company of my young adult children; and now as an empty nester. It is that kind of timeless film. A gem.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Lromero1396 said:
"Agony" was anounced in August, but Fox may have changed their mind by this point.
I sure hope not. Fox must be encouraged though by the response to this poll. Although a very limited sample, it definitely shows interest in this title...I mean, it's not sitting at 1% or 2%, or anything that soft.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Lromero1396 said:
I wonder what is the point then to include it in the polls. I have to say that it seems to me like many of the movies are either released already in other territories, titles that would soon be released anyway or now titles that had already been announced. I would have hoped that we could get those without a poll but apparently I am wrong in this regard...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
OliverK said:
I wonder what is the point then to include it in the polls.
When most studios do polls, they're not just seeing what one or two titles have demand, they're also half hoping to see which titles have zero demand at the bottom of the voting, so they can wash their hands clean of not releasing it and say "see, we told you". Fox might have been wanting to generate some low numbers on paper to justify a low printing run for A&E, but second or third place may be better than they thought.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I think Hello Dolly! is one of the worst muscials Fox ever released. Loved the musical play, hated the movie. Streisand was all wrong, like 30 years too young to play Dolly Levi. Gene Kelly directed an overblown musical.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
I wonder what is the point then to include it in the polls. I have to say that it seems to me like many of the movies are either released already in other territories, titles that would soon be released anyway or now titles that had already been announced. I would have hoped that we could get those without a poll but apparently I am wrong in this regard...
Honestly, Fox is not putting out enough catalog and seems to love having people import from other regions. Also, Agony is a no-brainer release givfn how well Biblical epics have done on BD, same with anything John Wayne. These 3 titles plus Two for the Road should have been released by now.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
How much longer is this (seemingly endless) voting going to go on for? I'm pretty well "voted out" by now. They should now just hurry up and make a decision. I like NORTH TO ALASKA, but what a pity it's the obvious winner when reportedly it has already been released on blu ray overseas. It is surely far better to vote for something which is yet to be remastered for Blu Ray from this decade. BTW, I don't think Carol Reed's THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY comes under the category of a 'Biblical Epic'. 'Historical Drama' seems the more accurate category to place it under. (The only Biblical element in it is the subject matter of the painting which Rex Harrison endlessly demands to know the finishing time of!)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I'd also love to see CRACK IN THE MIRROR in 'Scope. I have only viewed a poor panned-and-scanned version. It has been announced as a Fox MOD (which could mean a horrible p+s transfer which I would avoid like the plague) but seems to have been delayed. Richard Fleischer did some very interesting Fox movies egs THE BOSTON STRANGLER, FANTASTIC VOYAGE, 10 RILLINGTON PLACE and THE BIG GAMBLE (which was released in p+s in Spain, so I wouldn't be optimistic for a 'Scope transfer if it's ever announced by the Fox MOD folk). I wrote in avote for THE STRIPPER with Joanne Woodward. It's great Jerry Goldsmith score may make it a candidate for the Twilight Time folk. I think it's only played in p+s on the Fox Movie Channel. Would love to see it in 'Scope; the early director's cut- if it's still around- would make a great extra as I believe it was very different. Fox bought the property for Marilyn before it opened (and swiftly closed) on Broadway. I'm guessing the movie improves on the William Inge play. Re CAN CAN, it's colorful and has some good tunes, but they stupidly cut its most famous song ('I Love Paris', only sung by the chorus in the final cut. Frank and Maurice perform it on the soundtrack so it must have been shot and then cut during previews) and added the Sinatra character as Frank had to settle with Fox after walking out on the filming of CAROUSEL (which I believe ultimately helped the film). The libretto of the stage play was not that great but the screen adaptation was not improved by adding another leading man who winds up taking the leading lady away from the character who was supposed to win her (Jourdan) in the original conception. One critic has described it as a "leaden musical" and I think that sums it up perfectly. Nonetheless it would LOOK good on Blu Ray if taken from a 65mm (restored) print. Re DOLLY, every 40+ actress in Hollywood was furious when Streisand was cast in the role. I've read Betty Grable was particularly hoping to return to Fox to make it her "comeback swansong" and had played the role on stage to very good reviews. It has some good numbers and Streisand gives it her all (with a Mae West-style interpretation of the role), however it struggles to create the joy it strives for and I believe it was one if the unhappiest sets of its era (or maybe of all-time, Matthau (who later patched things up with Streisand) infamously made statements such as "remember Betty Hutton!" and "I have more talent in my smallest fart than you have in your whole body".) Apparently, 'Streisand the diva' emerged in full force and Gene Kelly was no Wlliam Wyler as a director. For me, it only comes alive in 3 numbers: 'Put on Your Sunday Clothes', 'Before the Parade Passes By' and - thanks totally to Louis Armstrong- 'Hello Dolly!'. Again, it will look terrific on Blu Ray, but what a pity it was not a better film. It probably would have lost (more) money with Grable, Ginger Rogers or Eve Arden, but we'd have a more memorable movie with someone of their talent, caliber and age in the role.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
lionel59 said:
I'd also love to see CRACK IN THE MIRROR in 'Scope. I have only viewed a poor panned-and-scanned version. It has been announced as a Fox MOD (which could mean a horrible p+s transfer which I would avoid like the plague) but seems to have been delayed. Richard Fleischer did some very interesting Fox movies egs THE BOSTON STRANGLER, FANTASTIC VOYAGE, 10 RILLINGTON PLACE and THE BIG GAMBLE (which was released in p+s in Spain, so I wouldn't be optimistic for a 'Scope transfer if it's ever announced by the Fox MOD folk).
Thanks for that warning about the Spanish The Big Gamble DVD. I was thinking of buying it!
lionel59 said:
I wrote in avote for THE STRIPPER with Joanne Woodward. It's great Jerry Goldsmith score may make it a candidate for the Twilight Time folk. I think it's only played in p+s on the Fox Movie Channel. Would love to see it in 'Scope; the early director's cut- if it's still around- would make a great extra as I believe it was very different. Fox bought the property for Marilyn before it opened (and swiftly closed) on Broadway. I'm guessing the movie improves on the William Inge play.
I'd forgotten The Stripper was a Fox movie. I'll suggest it when I vote later today . . . and I'll carry on suggesting it too!
lionel59 said:
Re CAN CAN, it's colorful and has some good tunes, but they stupidly cut its most famous song ('I Love Paris', only sung by the chorus in the final cut. Frank and Maurice perform it on the soundtrack so it must have been shot and then cut during previews) and added the Sinatra character as Frank had to settle with Fox after walking out on the filming of CAROUSEL (which I believe ultimately helped the film).
They also left out the best song in the score: I Am In Love, a truly brilliant song; memorably recorded by Ella Fitzgerald in her Cole Porter twin album set

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Voting for these a few times here and there: Little Princess My Friend Flicka On the Riviera. Agony & Ecstasy ANY Danny Kaye is welcome to me. But looks like Riviera isn't going to make it. :(

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My write-in votes have been for Sons and Lovers and The Innocents. Otherwise, have consistently voted for Two for the Road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks