What's new

1960s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Two For the Road, How To Steal a Million, Bedazzled, The Agony and the Ecstasy are all way better than North of Alaska.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Noach Kowalski
Two For the Road, How To Steal a Million, Bedazzled, The Agony and the Ecstasy are all way better than North of Alaska.
Being a better film has little to do with it as North to Alaska has been a more popular title, largely due to Duke's appeal.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robert Crawford said:
Being a better film has little to do with it as North to Alaska has been a more popular title, largely due to Duke's appeal.
North to Alaska can't be viewed as if one were expecting a masterpiece. It's a fun comedy/western romp with the Duke. That's why it's so enjoyable.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Felt like a romantic comedy this evening so I voted for Do Not Disturb. Its getting to the point where I need to decided to keep voting for titles I know won't win but I'm hoping Fox will feel the love for, or start voting for the title I want most!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I went with the title I want most starting this week. I've voted for the same four titles for the last few days.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by MattH.
I went with the title I want most starting this week. I've voted for the same four titles for the last few days.
I think I will start that as of next week. Sticking with Do Not Disturb for the week.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Ed Lachmann said:
The BD of NORTH TO ALASKA already available from SoulMedia through Amazon UK and DaaVeeDee in the States is really very nice. I wonder how many potential customers already have it and are hoping for an otherwise unavailable title to be released.
North to Alaska in my opinion does not even belong in the poll - it is a decent John Wayne movie and it will sell anyway. Plus it is already out in other territories so the effort needed to bring it out in the US would be really low. Of all the movies on the list Can-Can and The Agony and the Ecstasy would certainly shine the most in the format provided they have decent masters, hopefully we eventually see both of them on Blu-Ray.

jseabough

Agent
Real Name
james seabough
I voted for THE AGONY AND THE ECTASY. I want all Todd AO features on blu ray :) I'd like to vote for Otto Preminger's EXODUS but I don't know if that United Artists feature is licensed by Fox as is WEST SIDE STORY.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
OliverK said:
North to Alaska in my opinion does not even belong in the poll - it is a decent John Wayne movie and it will sell anyway. Plus it is already out in other territories so the effort needed to bring it out in the US would be really low. Of all the movies on the list Can-Can and The Agony and the Ecstasy would certainly shine the most in the format provided they have decent masters, hopefully we eventually see both of them on Blu-Ray.
Agreed. These 3 should be no-brainer releases.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Just my opinion. feel free to disagree, but I think due to the beautiful locations the 3 Westerns, North to Alaska, The Undefeated, and Bandolero! would look as good as anything on Blu-Ray. If done properly, I think these should look stunning on Blu-Ray with all the beautiful location footage. Take Care! Robert

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
North To Alaska is the title I want to win. I started voting for it everday. In the past several days, since it has opened up a double digit lead, I have been voting for The Undefeated. I would like to see The Undefeated on Blu-Ray too so I hope it finishes I also want to see Bandolero! released on Blu-Ray so I will probably soon start voting for Bandolero! as long as North To Alaska's lead remains secure! So maybe Bandolero! can rise in the vote totals! Take Care! Robert

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Here! Here! I voted for Two For The Road as well. Whenever someone today champions Quentin Tarantino as the master of the non-linear narrative (via Pulp Fiction) I invariably point them back four decades to Stanley Donen's sublime and bittersweet masterpiece. While I love How To Steal A Million and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie too, from the list as provided by Fox only one film stands out and it is Two For The Road. Fox also should have included Star! as a contender. Not a perfect film by any means, but one so varied and with such an eclecticism of rare treasures that it really is underrated. I have to say Can-Can wasn't anything to write home about. I know the original stage show's plot was severely altered at Sinatra's behest and then again to squeeze in Chevalier and Jourdan in a sort of Gigi redux mode. But the changes really turned Cole Porter's silk purse into a sow's ear for me - that and the way Walter Lang somehow managed to keep his distance from the actors and the action so that a lot of the movie plays like just another static recreation of the stage bound presentation. I've heard rumors that Hello Dolly! is in the works somewhere for 2013, possibly through Twilight Time. I hope that's the case. It's the best musical of the 1960s after West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins and My Fair Lady. Just a real class act all the way with Streisand sparkling as ever. I prefer her in this movie to even Funny Girl - although I confess, I like her in that one too. I'm going to digress herein to say that Fox's 50s sampling is even worse than its 60s. Where oh where are Oklahoma!, The King And I, Carousel and Call Me Madam?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Nick*Z said:
Fox also should have included Star! as a contender. Not a perfect film by any means, but one so varied and with such an eclecticism of rare treasures that it really is underrated. I have to say Can-Can wasn't anything to write home about. I know the original stage show's plot was severely altered at Sinatra's behest and then again to squeeze in Chevalier and Jourdan in a sort of Gigi redux mode. But the changes really turned Cole Porter's silk purse into a sow's ear for me - that and the way Walter Lang somehow managed to keep his distance from the actors and the action so that a lot of the movie plays like just another static recreation of the stage bound presentation.
Thanks for your post. I can't resist a few responses. 1. Star! is a great film and probably the most underrated musical ever made. I am still trying to see it in 70mm. 2. Can-Can is more than ok. I saw the original play (restored) in SFO a few years ago, and I much prefer the movie screenplay as well as the interpolated songs. Granted, the movie is now dated into a time and place (ring-a-ding-ding-ding anyone?) but its charms are still intact. A Blu-ray would be very welcome.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Where is the love for "Two for the Road"? This film has fallen from 1st to 4th with now only 10% of the vote.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Garysb said:
Where is the love for "Two for the Road"? This film has fallen from 1st to 4th with now only 10% of the vote.
Agreed. I can't believe it's getting bested by The Undefeated. The 2 Wayne titles should have been released by now. Here, they're only causing delays in the release of other classics like Agony and Two for the Road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks