What's new

1960s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (2 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know why there're pushing Unforgiven, I don't think it's that good a western. Rio Conchos would be much better & would be a good companion film to The Comancheros.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I did an about face today and voted for Doris Day in Do Not Disturb. Not my favorite Doris Day film, but since its the only one on the list it will have to do!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
I did an about face today and voted for Doris Day in Do Not Disturb. Not my favorite Doris Day film, but since its the only one on the list it will have to do!
Yes, I much prefer Doris' other romp with Rod Taylor - The Glass-Bottomed Boat, but it's not a Fox title.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Oops! Wasted my write-in vote yesterday on a non-Fox picture. So I went today with PRINCE OF PLAYERS, a great companion to this year's LINCOLN!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
And that's a Duh following the Oops. PRINCE OF PLAYERS, of course, was a write-in for the 50s. For the 60s, I went with the charming but little remembered JOANNA. Still remember the unexpected "2nd" ending that had people stopping in the aisles to watch, and them applauding like mad ...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw JOANNA when it came out and enjoyed it immensely. Wonder it if still holds up... Would love to see Prince of Players in its Widescreen/Multi-channel glory.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Billy Batson said:
I don't know why there're pushing Unforgiven, I don't think it's that good a western. Rio Conchos would be much better & would be a good companion film to The Comancheros.
I think The Unforgiven's a very good Western.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Robin9 said:
I think The Unforgiven's a very good Western.
Yeah, fair enough, these things are subjective. If I'm being honest I wouldn't put myself out to buy any of the titles on the 60's list.

4000dvds2many

Auditioning
Real Name
M Starks
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie all the way! Maggie is astoundingly good in this. But seriously guys? John Wayne is taking the votes? There are already any number of Wayne movies on Blu-Ray. Give other classics lovers something to enjoy. Of course I knew going into this that the ultra-masculine titles would wind up winning as usual... They should split the choices up so the war/western/noir lovers get what they want but leave options for the rest of us. :(

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Yay! North To Alaska is leading...for now. I dropped a write-in vote for The Blue Max. That one had better not get licensed to Twilight time.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
benbess said:
Lot of good choices. Voted for Can Can, even though I've never seen it! Maybe because I've never seen it. Agony & Ecstasy looks great as a film. Unfortunately the movie was made a couple of decades before they cleaned the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and so the painting is a bit dirty. In other words, the brilliant bright colors that we now know Michelangelo used, and which are so important to this fresco, are simply not seen. It's a good movie, but flawed for me in that important way.
I read in one of Charlton Heston's books that the ceiling colors of the replica ceiling they used were too bright according to critics of the time and he claimed that they achieved the same look in the movie that the ceiling had after the cleaning/restoration some decades later. I voted for The Agony and the Ecstasy by the way but was thinking it was scheduled to be released this year through Twilight Time? Imo Can-Can has the potential to look better on Blu-Ray as it reportedly got a very high resolution scan very recently but I fear that it has little chance of winning out in this race so I went with The Agony and the Ecstasy. Bandolero is out in Europe by the way so with it being released already I would rather go with a movie that I cannot yet buy on Blu-Ray.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm holding high hopes for the wonderfully funny BEDAZZLED, and The Order of The Bouncing Beryls. My write-in today, however, was THE VISIT. It was a recent Fox Archive selection, but, as with most of their WS films, was issued in pan-and-scan. Sheesh!!

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Adam Gregorich said:
I did an about face today and voted for Doris Day in Do Not Disturb.  Not my favorite Doris Day film, but since its the only one on the list it will have to do!
There's a German Blu-Ray set available with three of Doris Day's films "Do Not Disturb", "Move Over Darling" and "Caprice". PQ is excellent and discs are region AB. Quite reasonably priced. http://www.amazon.de/Doris-Day-Premium-Collection-Pr%C3%A4gedruck/dp/B009AP7EFK/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1358547506&sr=1-7

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
ugh, wth happened with the masterpiece Two for the Road dropping to an average John Wayne oater? blech.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Chances are all the titles in the poll will come out over the next two years (MGM had done a similar poll with VHS and all titles you could vote for eventually were released).

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
It underwent further restoration, after the dvd? 'Cause the dvd used poor elements; that's all they had at the time.
the 70MM website has a write up that a new scan was completed, but a print could not be struck because the negative was in bad shape. Probably the same element used for the DVD. The 70MM neg has damage and the DVD has a slight problem with shifting color, but it still looked pretty good and the score (isolated tracks) sounds great

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Adam_S said:
ugh, wth happened with the masterpiece Two for the Road dropping to an average John Wayne oater?  blech.
They'll probably both get released. Fox would be sacrificing a great sale by not releasing both of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks