What's new

1960s: What Titles Did You Vote For? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I voted for THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE. I love Maggie Smith and have only seen the film once, on TV, so I'd love to experience it on Blu...

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Bandolero! Hard not to love a movie with a cast of Jimmy Stewart, Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Raquel Welch, Andrew Prine, Denver Pyle, Sean McClory, and Grandpa Walton (Will Geer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
darkrock17 said:
Hello Dolly
Per a knowledge Barbra Streisand fan website, Barbra Archive this will be released this year along with Funny Girl, Funny Lady, The Way We Were, and A Star is Born ( already announced) . Some of these are going to Twilight Time.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Richard V said:
Bandolero! Hard not to love a movie with a cast of Jimmy Stewart, Dean Martin, George Kennedy, Raquel Welch, Andrew Prine, Denver Pyle, Sean McClory, and Grandpa Walton (Will Geer)
Wait, that IS Raquel Welch next to John Wayne in the top graphic, isn't it? :P Wondered about that.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Noach Kowalski
Adam, any idea why great movies such as The Flight of the Phoenix, Leave Her To Heaven, Where Sidewalk Ends, Nightmare Alley were excluded from the list? Does that mean Fox are already working on a Blu-ray edition of those or? Thx in advance, and sorry for going offtopic.
Noach-
I am not speaking on behalf of Fox at all, but in our discussions with them leading up to today here are some of the things that we heard about why titles were selected for inclusion:
· Feedback from HTF members on titles they would like released on Blu-ray
· Titles with digital restoration (complete or in progress)
· Star power
· Award wins and nominations
· Diversity of titles from different genres and years
Anyone of these may or may not apply to the titles on your list. The good news is the studios (and not just Fox) pay attention to the titles members discuss here. If you haven't already I recommend you list those titles in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Ejanss said:
While I'm all for wishlist discussions, can we please, please, PLEASE stop with the write-in dream-team posts? That was Monday, this is Tuesday, and now we have a democratic process of an actual list of studio-sanctioned nominees with hopefully beneficial results. Please choose from what the rest of us registered voters are choosing, or save it for another thread.
Since Fox saw fit to include a write-in box, I saw fit to utilize it. If nothing else, it may draw their attention to titles for future consideration. Also, I must have missed the part about how this thread is ONLY for votes cast on the studio-selected titles.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Lot of good choices. Voted for Can Can, even though I've never seen it! Maybe because I've never seen it. Agony & Ecstasy looks great as a film. Unfortunately the movie was made a couple of decades before they cleaned the Sistine Chapel ceiling, and so the painting is a bit dirty. In other words, the brilliant bright colors that we now know Michelangelo used, and which are so important to this fresco, are simply not seen. It's a good movie, but flawed for me in that important way.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
GMpasqua said:
"Can-Can" Frank Sinatra/Cole Porter, with Isolated score (like the DVD) Shot in Todd-AO and recently undergone some restoration - should look pretty good on Blu since it was a large format color film
It underwent further restoration, after the dvd? 'Cause the dvd used poor elements; that's all they had at the time.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I voted for How to Steal a Million over Two for the Road, I know the film isn't perfect but I watched Two for the Road when it was finally released on DVD years back and was surprised how much I didn't care for it. That being said I'm older now and shockingly enough I would buy it when / if it is released on Blu. Same with many of the titles mentioned. My brain is stuck right now when it comes to FOX titles by decade esp the 1970's however when the 1970's goes up The Driver is a release I would love, especially since I read that a new restored print has been shown around in the past year-ish.
It isn't listed buy Valley of the Dolls needs a Blu release so they might as well do Beyond the Valley of the Dolls also. The old Studio Classics DVD line on those cases slipcovers were so well done. Stars and Strips Forever that FOX released to BLU had a wonderful SlipBox Style case and that is what FOX should do with the Studio Cinema Classics line.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Ejanss
While I'm all for wishlist discussions, can we please, please, PLEASE stop with the write-in dream-team posts?
That was Monday, this is Tuesday, and now we have a democratic process of an actual list of studio-sanctioned nominees with hopefully beneficial results. Please choose from what the rest of us registered voters are choosing, or save it for another thread.
I didn't walk into the Obama/Romney election last November and say "I voted for Doctor Who!"
Yeah, what Kenneth said. They've included a write-in box for each decade so why shouldn't the write-in titles be discussed? Write ins may very well result in titles put forth for a secnd wave if there ever is one.
As for me, I wrote in STAR! (I know there's not much love for it but I'm a sucker for Julie Andrews in Todd-AO)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Will Krupp said:
Yeah, what Kenneth said. They've included a write-in box for each decade so why shouldn't the write-in titles be discussed??  Write ins may very well result in titles put forth for a secnd wave if there ever is one. As for me, I wrote in STAR! (I know there's not much love for it but I'm a sucker for Julie Andrews in Todd-AO)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Adam Gregorich said:
Noach- I am not speaking on behalf of Fox at all, but in our discussions with them leading up to today here are some of the things that we heard about why titles were selected for inclusion:  · Feedback from HTF members on titles they would like released on Blu-ray · Titles with digital restoration (complete or in progress) · Star power · Award wins and nominations · Diversity of titles from different genres and years Anyone of these may or may not apply to the titles on your list.  The good news is the studios (and not just Fox) pay attention to the titles members discuss here.  If you haven't already I recommend you list those titles in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/ 
I have a feeling that some of these titles are on the more marginal list. In other words, for some titles, they did so well on DVD that Fox has already decided on a blu ray release. I am hoping that some of my favorites (Mark of Zorro, In Old Chicago, My Darling Clementine) fall into that category.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Adam Gregorich said:
Noach- I am not speaking on behalf of Fox at all, but in our discussions with them leading up to today here are some of the things that we heard about why titles were selected for inclusion:  · Feedback from HTF members on titles they would like released on Blu-ray · Titles with digital restoration (complete or in progress) · Star power · Award wins and nominations · Diversity of titles from different genres and years Anyone of these may or may not apply to the titles on your list.  The good news is the studios (and not just Fox) pay attention to the titles members discuss here.  If you haven't already I recommend you list those titles in this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/323073/a-question-for-mr-belston-or-mr-finn/ 
Thx Adam! You 've been very helpful.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Will Krupp said:
Yeah, what Kenneth said.  They've included a write-in box for each decade so why shouldn't the write-in titles be discussed?  Write ins may very well result in titles put forth for a secnd wave if there ever is one. As for me, I wrote in STAR! (I know there's not much love for it but I'm a sucker for Julie Andrews in Todd-AO)
Yeah, saw that later. ;) Up to the point, most of the wish-list posts had been simply "I want/voted for (X)!" without mentioning list vote or write-in vote, which, as I said, suggested the Monday-morning "I want (neat stuff onlyi I've heard of)!", which can take a thread over quickly. (Usually in the Criterion threads, when a company waves a magic genie-lamp in front of disk fans and asks for their wish.) As long as we have the wish-lists votes clearly marked, and next to the regular votes, we're fine. In fact, I may need suggestions--I looked over my own DVD shelf, and there wasn't much Fox there that needed upgrading, apart from the R&H musicals, the 70's classics, and two or three titles that have already shown up for official voting. Good thing we still have the rest of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks